A New Home Hair Dye: Schwarzkopf Color Mask!


I've used a lot of home hair colourants over the years and I've mastered the art of dyeing my own hair. Other than the ombre in my hair, the top half was my natural colour and was looking a bit dull so I popped into town to pick up a hair dye. 
I found the Schwarzkopf color mask in a shop called 'bodycare' for £3.99 (bargain!). One problem I noticed straight away is the limited colour range. I wanted something similar to my natural shade - a medium to dark brown. The shades are limited to light brown, golden brown or dark brown. In my experience, dark brown can often look almost black so I plumped for the light brown.

The kit itself is pretty straight forward to use - color cream, developer cream, hair conditioner mask and gloves. You mix the color cream into the tub of developer and shake. You then use this mixture on dry hair and leave for around 30 minutes.

The formula of the hair dye is fairly thick and smells like your traditional hair colorant - although not overly strong. I found it easiest to dip two fingers into the pot and then apply to the hair like a normal hair dye. I always apply color to the roots first before applying to the rest of the hair. With this dye, its best to take your time applying it rather than applying like a traditional hair mask.
The mixture is none drip but I did get quite a bit of dye on my face and neck - it comes off easily with a little warm water or baby lotion!

After leaving the color on for 30 minutes I rinsed my hair in warm water - it didn't take long for the water to run clear which is an improvement on other hair dyes I've used. I then put the conditioner on (theres enough in the sachet for around 3 applications) and left for 5 minutes before rinsing.

The result is a glossy chocolate brown with gold tones. Its very similar to my natural colour. You can still see my ombreyed hair peeking through but it looks more natural now and blends in well. I only just had enough hair dye to color my long hair so if you're considering buying this I would recommend two boxes for really long or thick hair. I will definitely use this hair dye again as I'm really pleased with the result - its easy to use, pretty much mess free and the colour is even and glossy. Easily one of the best home colour kits I've used!

4 comments

  1. Sounds like a great home dye! And your hair is gorgeous

    A little bit Unique - Blog // Facebook // Bloglovin



    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I was thinking of getting one of these hair masks but in a lighter tone! Good to know I might need two packs!

    grannygee.blogspot.com

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great hun! I am usually quite scared to die my hair at home and I go get it done professionally now after a terrible experience haha! I'll definitely recommend this to my best friend who loves to home-color her hair! Great post! :))

    XO,
    http://www.rosychicc.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this and wondered if it was a gimmicky option, but it looks and sounds perfect! I think I'll give it a go next time I see it. I have long thick hair, so I will make sure I get two xxx
    Gemma ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo