Toners: An Overview

I never used to pay much attention to skincare toners but since blogging I've adapted my skincare routine and added a few to my rota.
I thought I would give a little overview of my current toners and how they fare. As my skin is oily/combination, I tend to go for a balancing toner like Elemis Rehydrating Ginseng Toner,which contains ginseng and sweet betty flower to rebalance and hydrate. I particularly love the smell and how it leaves my skin feeling refreshed. Its alcohol free but on the more expensive side at around £21 for a full size 200ml bottle. Another hydrating toner is the No7 Soft & Soothed Gentle Toner. I've only just purchased this one but so far so good. It feels light and refreshing and soaks in quickly with no residue. This one is also alcohol free so non drying. Its also good value - you can currently get it for £3 with a no7 skincare voucher!

Liquid exfoliators seem to have risen in popularity over the last few months. I use one 2/3 times a week as a toner to brighten my complexion. The Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner is a fairly gentle exfoliating toner which helps congested complexions. Its alcohol free and  contains 2% glycolic acid  (Glycolic acid in skincare helps to stimulate the complexion and improve skin texture). I find the mario bedescu toner helps to keep my complexion clear and smooth though it tingles very slightly when first applied so it might be too harsh for sensitive skins. I've also found its quite drying if used too much. I always follow up with a hydrating toner like the elemis one to prevent my skin from drying out. A recent addition to my toner collection is Pixi Glow Tonic. Again, this is an alcohol free exfoliating toner with glycolic acid, aloe vera and witch hazel. For me, this has much more of a brightening effect than mario bedescu as I noticed a difference straight away in terms of radiance. Glow tonic is so blummin difficult to get hold of (its currently out of stock online) but its worth the hype. 

Another hyped toner in the beauty world is La Roche Posay Serozinc. I'm currently on the fence with this one. I like to use either in the morning or after glow tonic to refresh my skin. On one hand, its very soothing, especially on blemishes and redness and I love the spray can. On the other, part of me thinks that this is just a can of water with a bit of zinc and sodium chloride thrown in. If it was easier to get hold of and cheaper in the UK then I might consider repurchasing but for now I probably wont when this can runs out.

Finally, after a bad breakout last month, I bought the Lush Tea Tree Water. I do love a bit of tea tree, especially on blemishes. I really like spritzing bottle (it alway seems so much nicer from a spray) and it really helped to clear up my skin without irritating or drying it out. It does contain methylparaben so its not 100% natural - not that I consider Lush to be a 'natural' brand. I'm still likely to repurchase unless I come across an alternative tea tree toner that works as well as this one.

Have you tried any of these toners?


18 comments

  1. The no.7 toner sounds really good and for the price its worth a try :) I have read about the La roche posay serozinc and i have been wanting to give it a go for a while now, but its so hard to get my hands on it here in UK like you said.

    Thank you for the overview, i am planning to try out more toners this year. Have a lovely day!

    Ying ♥ || *- YingcBeauty-*
    X x X x X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Mario Badescu but I love the idea of a glycolic acid toner!

    Molly x
    Lyon Notes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use my own DIY Tea Tree Toner very occasionally.. especially when I have a few tiny spots. I am, however, confused by every single other toner. I'm not entirely sure I even need them. I have the Clarins Exfoliating Toner and when I was using it I saw absolutely no change or benefit whatsoever.

    My skin is 'normal' sometimes sensitive but otherwise pretty much A-OK.
    I think I might try the No.7 toner though because for £3 that's a bargain, it sounds pretty lovely and I definitely need hydration more than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love toners, and my favorite one is from Clarins and contains camomille - it's so lovely and refreshing :o) Xx

    Makeup by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah I'm so jealous! I've been trying to get my hands on some of that Glow Tonic for such a long time, it really does sound lovely! I really enjoy using the Serozinc, I have read that it has anti-bacterial properties which should prevent blemishes :) That No.7 toner is great find, I have a few No.7 vouchers so I might check it out. Thanks for the post Zoe

    Ellie

    http://elsie-bells.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't tried any of these - I don't even use a toner, shock horror! Cringing now that I've written that. :) Have you tried the Clarins exfoliating one? x

    Živa from Nothin' Fancy. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't tried any of these toners but i'm interested in the N07 one. I like that is isn't drying and quite light, great recommendations.

    P.xx
    GreyWalls

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to try the Pixi Glow Tonic - I might get it as my next toner.

    annie | www.raspberphobia.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought lush’s tea tree toner recently and I have been loving it! Your right it is great for getting rid of the pesky spots without drying my skin out!

    www.britishbeautyaddict.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the No7 toner, use it every day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm guilty of not using toner, but I have tried the LUSH Tea Tree one in the past, but it really didn't seem to make a difference. I'm looking for more of a hydrating toner, preferably with some antioxidants, but everything I stumble upon is either super pricey or just horribly out of reach.
    xx, moonchild beauty blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. These all sounds amazing, I love Pixi Glow it really does give a beautiful glow. I've heard great things about the La Roche Posay Serozinc but you can't get hold of it here in the UK! :(

    www.petitebeautyblogger.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab blogpost! I bought the no7 toner recently but haven’t had chance to try it. It sounds good from what you’ve said! :-) xx

    Helen @
    http://www.helensfashionblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Toning was one thing I never used to think about. I recently bought the No7 toner (using a voucher just as you mentioned) and I am loving it! It is the one step I never miss! It always leaves my face feeling fresh and clean and ready to be moisturised!
    Lovely post! You're giving me ideas about what to try next!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I may need the glow tonic in my life, it sounds pretty incredible!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm dying to get my hands on the Pixi Glow Tonic. It sounds incredible!
    I recently purchased the LUSH Tea Tree Water as well and I've been enjoying it. Like you mentioned, it isn't the most natural product but I will also continue to repurchase until I find a better alternative.
    xx
    Celina | The Celution | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have serozinc and glow tonic as my daily toners, I really like them both but you're right, they're a pain to get hold of x

    lamourjosie.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really want to try the Lush and Pixi ones, I'm a bit of a toner addict :)
    xxx Claire
    http://wwwclairabelle.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo