A Guide to Beauty Shopping on Ebay

ebay

This post comes courtesy of some late night inspiration, when insomnia has taken over and my mind starts to wander. I've mentioned a few ebay finds on here before, so I thought perhaps a little post dedicated to ebay shopping might be useful.
I've been shopping on ebay for ten years and buying any product is a complete minefield. Beauty wise, its changed a lot over the last ten years but I still buy quite a few things on there as there are many bargains to be had. Today I'm going to run through a few of my tips for shopping for beauty.

1. Read the listing carefully
So you've found an item you want to buy or bid for. Always read through the listing carefully to make sure you know exactly what you're getting. For example, has it been used (I'm not sure if you're supposed to list used cosmetics but it happens), is it a tester, is it sealed etc.. The list goes on. If you have a question make sure you email the seller to clarify.

2. Look at feedback.
Look at the sellers feedback to see what kind of customer feedback they're getting. Generally, anything under 98% is considered quite poor but obviously it does depend on how many sales the sellers has made and what the negative feedback states. Its worth looking at both negative and neutral comments to see what customers are writing. However,do bear in mind that some customers are hard to please (yeah I went there, that what happens when you've worked in retail).

3. The 'fakes'
Ebay is rife with fake items. There are some brilliant copies out there that some people will have no idea that they've purchased a fake item. At this point in time, I personally wouldn't buy any MAC or Benefit items as I would say these are the brands with the most fakes out there. It is extremely unlikely that you would find a genuine Benefit concealer selling for £2.99 with free postage - sadly it just doesn't happen. I try and stand buy the rule that if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is but obviously there are genuine sellers out there.
To give you an idea of fake items here are some examples.

fakemakeup

Here, there are differences in packaging - the Chanel name looks different from genuine chanel. The MAC lashes packaging is completely wrong. MAC don't make shadow palettes like the one above nor have they manufactured a lady gaga gloss line (there were only ever two available as part of viva glam).

If in doubt, google the item you're looking for and trust your instincts. Fake items can contain all kinds if ingredients so its better to be cautious.

4. Pay by paypal
I would say this with buying anything on ebay. Always make sure you only use paypal as you have buyer protection. No matter what the seller tells you - with bank transfer or cheque you have little to fall back on whereas paypal is safer.

5. Once You've Purchased
If you're not happen with your item, email the seller straight away to see if you can resolve your issue. Sometimes mistakes do happen and there are sellers out there who are more than happy to help. If you fail to resolve an issue with a seller, you can take up a case with ebay to try and establish an outcome.



7 comments

  1. Great post, I think sometimes when a seller is selling loads its probably fake, and one off beauty products are more reliable :)

    Sophie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Just letting you know I tagged you for the Procrastinating Beauty Blogger TAG! Check it out on my blog if you're interested :) Great post by the way!
    http://missbrunettebeauty.blogspot.ca/2014/02/the-procrastinating-beauty-blogger-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips, I have been a little worried about buying on ebay but have always wanted too. I have also wanted to sell a few things as well but haven't done that either.
    xx. Michelle
    http://michelleolthuis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really good tips, especially the spotting fakes and feedback tips! The feedback is the first thing I look at

    A little bit Unique Blog/Bloglovin/Instagram/Facebook

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips. I have only purchased from Ebay once and it was a good experience. I would have never even thought to look for beauty items on there.

    Beth
    bethandbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo