The Not So Great...

 photo beauty_blog.png
Whilst I love finding beauty products I love, I often come across one of two things that underwhelm. Lately, theres been a few products that have completely disappointed.
The Magnitone Pulsar* is something I tried at the end of last year. It's basically like the clarisonic except that it can also be used on the body as well as the face. I only used this on my face on the sensitive setting. I've never tried an electronic cleansing brush before so I was really looking forward to giving this a go. Sadly after a few days use, my skin broke out. Now, I've heard of the whole 'purging' that can happen with clarisonics (basically, your skin breaks out whilst getting rid of all the gunk before it looks better - though skincare blogger caroline hirons says this is a myth). However, the blemishes I had were quite large and sore - thank god for concealer! so I had to stop using the pulsar. It took quite a while for my skin to return to normal and whilst I've thought about giving it another go, I have a few things coming up and I want to keep my skin clear. I've read a lot of positive reviews on the magnitone pulsar but it just wasn't working for me.

Another product that disappoints is the TIGI Bed Head After Party Smoothing Cream. I don't think this is completely terrible but for the price, I don't find it smooths/tames my hair as much as I would like. My hair is quite static so I need all the help I can get but I'm sure a cheaper product would work just as well as this one. Same goes for Tigi S Factor Smoothing Lusterizer Defrizzer & Tamer.  I love the strawberries and cream scent of this but I don't find it really adds or does anything to my hair. I also don't like the shimmer in it either. Again, its not super cheap so I was expecting more.

A recent buy is The Body Shop Vitamin E Overnight Serum in Oil. I've only used this a few times but I find it really greasy, it doesn't sink in well and just feels horrible on my skin. So disappointing. Finally, I have to mention the Deborah Lippmann Polish in Before He Cheats. The formula on this wasn't good - the coverage was streaky and takes several coats to be fully opaque. This was a tkmaxx find so I'm not too fussed. I'm sure if I'd paid full price I'd be pretty miffed!

Have you had any underwhelming beauty products?

19 comments

  1. Shame about the body shop oil...I have read some really good reviews with other bloggers..;((

    http://vodkaandarose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it just doesnt work on my skin x

      Delete
  2. Try the Evo End Doctor on your hair it's fab for split ends, smoothing, de-frizzing and has heat protection!

    Katy xxx

    Jennybgoodevintage.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. will deffo have a look for that x

      Delete
  3. I'm surprised you didn't like the Body Shop oil. I agree it's quite greasy but I've found good results from it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it. I think it just doesnt agree with my skin x

      Delete
  4. Such a shame about that nail polish, it looks so pretty in the bottle!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Surprised you didn't like the polish! I have one bottle from her the Mermaid's Dream and LOVEEE it. The consistency and brush is perfect. But sometimes there's hit and misses on polishes, for me it's essie. Some are great, otehrs are so streaky :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the other shades I have just a shame this one is a dud x

      Delete
  6. I've loved the Deborah Lippman polishes I've tried, it's a shame this one didn't work out for you!
    I also wanted to try out the Body shop oil but I don't think the greasy-ness of it would agree with my oily skin! :(

    Belle et Beaut | UK Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! Great post girl!

    www/beautysblessings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so refreshing to read a post about underwhelming products instead of everything being fabulous like on a lot of blogs. Thank you for your honesty and keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ive been using the magnitone pulsar for a couple of weeks now and I too broke out with big sore spots! But I have persevered and they are now clearing and my skin looks better than it ever has done!

    www.britishbeautyaddict.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should definitely stick with what works for you. I might be tempted to give it another go at some point x

      Delete
  10. I would expect Deborah Lippmann polish to be better seeing how expensive it is!

    Laila from Townhouse Palette ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bad head all the way! Huge fan of all of their products!

    A.
    letterstoa.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes the whole purging stories are complete crap. The only thing which can happen is that your skin gets used after a while to the physical attacks and probably will become a bit harder. The purge stories belong with the detox stories into the trash bin. Our body will get rid of toxins perfectly well by itself and nothing we do will help that beside staying in general healthy and not adding more toxins. The only thing we can do is keeping our skin clean and the skin flora healthy (excessive scrubbing and to much cleaning products will do the opposite).
    Sorry short rant but as a scientist i always get a bit mad when people try to sell stuff to others which is obviously bad for them with the excuse that it is some sort of purge before it gets better (same goes for detox diets, the do not work)
    Good for you for not buying into this. So sad about the body shop serum. I have a rather oily skin so i can imagine it will not work on me either an i had heard amazing things about this serum. beautiful blog by the way :)
    xxx
    Mica from Why is it that when somebody tells me that they thought twilight was badly written that their opinion on another books seems automatically more valid to me? :P It is fine for me if people like twilight or even worst fifty shades of fray. To every one their taste. But do not sell it to me as high literature.
    Okay but i am going of topic :P This book sounds interesting. I found it interesting that the apparently male author chose to have a teenage girl as a protagonist. But a good writer can make it work. I think i will take a look at this book when it is released :) Thanks for the review
    xxx
    Mica (Sciencekoekje.blogspot.be)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo