A 99p MAC 217 Dupe

MAC_217dupe

When it comes to makeup brushes, I don't like to splurge too much. Brands such as Real Techniques have some great brushes that aren't pricey. The most expensive brush I own is MAC's 217 blending brush - a cult favourite.
Recently, I came across a 'dupe' on ebay for 99p and thought I'd give it a try to see how it compares. I'd already previously purchased some brushes from the ebay seller which I mentioned in my A Beauty Bargain post here and was really impressed with them so I was hoping this brush would be just as good.
The MAC 217 blending brush is designed for shading and blending of colour or cream products. The brush is made with soft, dense goat hair with an oval shape. I've had this brush for around two years and its still in perfect condition - it doesn't shed and it washes extremely well.

MAC217_ebaydupe

In comparison, the ebay brush has a matte black handle and is slightly longer and thicker than MAC's 217. The brush itself is also longer and slightly wider with a tapered edge. Whilst I'm not actually sure what the ebay dupe is made of as the listing doesn't say, I will try and found out but personally I think its goat hair. The feel of the brush is very similar to the MAC 217 - its extremely soft! 
The deal breaker between the two is the size of the brush. Ultimately I find the ebay brush too large to use on my eye area. For blending out concealer, its perfect but for shadow its the MAC 217 that's the winner here. For me the 217 does a better job of blending, whereas the ebay brush needs a little extra work. Then again, for 99p I cant complain. Its great value for money and whilst it might not be an exact dupe for the MAC 217 its a nice brush to have for concealer, blending out foundation around the nose and highlighter. I bought my ebay brush from this seller - it arrived quickly and was well packaged. My brush hasn't shed and has washed well so far. If you're looking for some cheap makeup brushes, I really recommend having a look on ebay as there are some fantastic lower priced alternatives on there.

33 comments

  1. Wow....complete bargain me thinks!! ;)

    http://vodkaandarose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off to Ebay right now!!
    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha theres some real gems on there :)

      Delete
  3. It's a shame that it wasn't quite as good as the Mac brush, I'm still on the hunt for a dupe as I just can't justify paying the price for the 217!xx

    Lucy Cole | A UK Fashion, Style and Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. theres a few dupes on the net -all cheaper than the 217 x

      Delete
  4. I love discovering cheaper alternatives & your 99p Mac dupe is great! I am going to get a few brushes from this seller.
    http://www.letstalkbeauty.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks fab, think I'm going to order it right now!

    Taslima | The little things in life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its such a good brush :)

      Delete
  6. I've been eyeing the 217 for ages, but this one looks almost identical! xx

    A Little Treat | Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its not quite as god but for 99p you cant really complain x

      Delete
  7. wow this is such a bargain, ebay has some really good brushes xx

    ~ VISUALCANDY INC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to get my hands on some of these dupes!

    Love, B x

    www.lifemadewonderful.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they're such a bargain x

      Delete
  9. This seems amazing! I think I might have to buy it now! x

    http://loudoesbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've bought some amazing brushes on ebay for such amazing prices!

    makeupbyjesswhitbread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have just discovered your blog and absolutely love it! http://finestprocrastination.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great brush. I have also found a dupe for that one. It is the Sedona Lace EB09 or the Sigma E25!

    Beautyxpress0.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good dupes! will check them out x

      Delete
  13. This look like a very good dupe, well done on finding this for us! I can't bare to pay MAC's prices for their makeup brushes, I purchased their stippling brush at £32.. never again. There's too many other great drugstore ones that do the exact same job

    Emma | The Fashion Six

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its crazy how expensive they are x

      Delete
  14. What a good find! Think I might treat myself! I have recently found dupes for Sigma's essential make-up brushes set for only £12 as opposed to £100+! I have a blog post about them here http://its-sarra.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/dupes-for-sigma-brushes-review.html :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sara I'll have a look x

      Delete
  15. I am really tempted by the MAC 217 after seeing it on Tanya Burr's channels! x

    www.amuchprettierpuzzle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a very good brush x

      Delete
  16. I'm on my way to get one now!haha been wanting the 217 for ages!x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo