How To Blog When You're Broke

blogging_onabudget

When I first started blogging, I perceived the blogging world as a place where you needed to be spending money on the latest products in order to keep up with everyone else.
Its difficult when you're first starting out - you have a small readership, your not on any pr radar, you might be unsure of your content and you're trying to find your place in the blogosphere. In the two years I've been blogging, I think the blogging world has changed a lot. There are a lot more bloggers than there used to be but I really believe that everyone has something to offer. Having good content will help you to stand out but you really can blog on a budget.

How Can I Blog On A Budget?
A great way to blog on a budget is by thinking outside the box. You may consider your blog to be a beauty or fashion blog but that doesn't mean you have to stick to beauty or fashion posts. There are a tonne of things that you could blog about without having to splash any cash - this post I'm writing for example. 

So, What Can I Blog About?
One of my favourite types of post is a good wishlist - a few things you like the look of be it fashion, beauty, home, a bit of everything. You don't need photoshop to make a collage - Picmonkey is free and easy to use, as is pixlr. If you have a few beauty products in your stash, make the most of them. Posts, such as shopping your stash, your favourite lip products/blush/bases/skincare, spring favourites, nail art, a makeup look are all ideas you could use. Do you have a hobby you could write about? maybe a recipe or DIY? If its a nice day, you could go outside and take a few photographs that you could share in a blog post. Do you have any tips you could share - healthy eating, exercise, being organised, money saving. Are you passionate about something? favourite charity, animals, local issue? Don't feel like you have to stick to certain topics - your blog is your space!

What About Design?
If you're just starting out or just fancy a change of design you can do this without having to pay for a blog designer. Blogger has several standard designs that you can use and these are customisable. I have some html tips and tricks here as a starting point but you can find hundreds of tutorials and help by searching on google. If you dont want to change any html, there are lots of website that offer free blogger templates - sites, such as bt templates, blogskins and bloggercandy are all worth a look. If its social media icons you're after, there are hundreds of freebies on the net. I really like these and these.
For free picture editing try picmonkey, pixlr, ipiccy and fotoflexer.

But How Can I Get Free Products?
A lot of bloggers do get pr samples, I'm incredibly lucky to have received a few but if you're starting out please dont expect to receive lots of 'freebies'. I will go into the subject of PR in a future post as its quite detailed and can be a controversial subject but as a blogger there are opportunites to work with PR companies. With that aside, if you want to write about products but dont have the funds, a good way would to be ask at makeup counters if they have any samples you could try. Also perfume counters sometimes have a few small samples they give out. A lot of beauty companies also give out samples via their website - I recently requested a small sample of better skin foundation from maybelline here. You could also try sites such as freebiesitesuk and latestfreestuff that have details of sites offering free beauty samples.

I hope this was helpful. Let me know if you have any tips for blogging on a budget!

39 comments

  1. What a fab post and right up my street at the min: you do need to think outside the box, ESP when your on a budget: not everyone can afford all the latest products: really helpful ideas thank you

    Laura

    Libertylovesmakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab post full of lots of hints and tricks! As a pretty newbie blogger I'll be favouriting for future ideas! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishlists are such a good idea, as are shopping your stash posts. I should probably give that a try myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to read those :)

      Delete
  4. Great post! I am just getting into the blogging world myself and I ended up going with blogger because as you said there are a lot of templates available for us non tech-savvy folks! Just curious about what you use?

    Beautyxpress0.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought mine from etsy but its tweaked slightly :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. you can get some good things on there :)

      Delete
  6. This is was seriously helpful :) I think people who blog do find it hard to spend their money on the latest release, I know I am tempted to spend my wages in boots & Superdrug but I have other financial priorities first - car, dig money etc.

    Some tips i have are:
    Make sure to double check how many hours I've worked & roughly work out tax - mine is the same every month
    I take off all my bills & what I'm left with I save & leave it in my bank account. I had to spend some extra cash that was unexpected on my car last month to get fixed. :( but all good now hehe :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Thanks :)
    X

    http://lifeisbeauty1994.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great ideas! I am always broke, so I will definitely trying to go into posting more about fashion along with beauty.

    Laila from Townhouse Palette ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, this post was super helpful! Thanks so much for the tips & advice. There's so much to know/learn when it comes to blogging. Much Love, xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. great advice!

    francesca from Frank Vinyl

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are some really helpful tips, thank you for sharing this :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a really great idea to get samples from beauty counters to blog about! I had never thought of that! x

    www.amuchprettierpuzzle.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am just starting out beauty blogging properly. I think this is a fab post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting.

    Thank You!!!

    www.diaryofalifelover.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for this awesome post! i actually just started blogging again a month ago, and i already feel like i'm in a rut with coming up with post ideas. I definitely need to start shopping my stash after spending so much at sephora recently haha!

    melissa.

    http://melissatruong.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like your ideas, Honestly it gets a little boring just seeing what everyone buys anyway. I dig it when people think outside the box and give us a little more variation in what they talk about. I love a good haul every once in awhile but it's far more valuable to see people's ideas.
    Lindsay

    www.haveaparade.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah its always good to see something different :)

      Delete
  17. Loving your posts I will be coming back for a second read! X

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've just started blogging and as a student with no money this has really helped! Great post, thank you! :) x

    messagesofstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. it's more than helpful!! Thanks Zoe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post :) Gave me a few ideas even though I have been lucky with a few pr companies and been sent a few products :)
    Emma x
    http://www.carefulofthetrip.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo