Tried & Tested: 5 Beauty Tips That Dont Work!

beauty_tips

There are many beauty tips out there and I've tried out a few over the years. I don't like to be negative on here but knowing what isn't quite so good can save a lot of time (and money) so with that in mind I thought I'd share the beauty tips that didn't quite cut it. 

Toothpaste on spots
This is probably one of the most talked about beauty tips but it has honestly never worked for me. Toothpaste is meant to dry out oil by leaving a dollop over your blemishes overnight. I have read its worked for some people - obviously everyone is different and what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for someone else. Personally,it did nothing apart from smear all over my bedding. Using good skincare products with either a tea tree or blemish gel has worked far better at busting those pesky spots.

Steam sets makeup
I've read this several times lately and I cant think of anything worse for setting my makeup - apart from spraying hairspray over my face, which I did read once and promptly had a WTF? moment. Moisture from your bath or shower is meant to make your makeup look fresh. If I go in the shower with a face full of makeup on I can guarantee it will be halfway down my face by the time I come out. For a dewy look, you need an appropriate base product or MAC Fix + spritzed over might be a good option for a flawless finish. For setting makeup, a good powder usually does the trick.

Cucumber for eyes
Though it isn't something I suffer with anymore, I used to get puffy eyes a lot as a teen. I've tried sliced cucumbers, cold spoons and even tea bags to try and reduce the puffiness. Its meant to be the coolness of cucumbers that reduces puffiness and its thought to help with dark circles. Sadly, my under eye circles have never benefited. I've found the best thing for puffy eyes is to splash the face with water when you wake up and using an cooling eye gel (keeping it in the fridge helps keeps it cold).

Nail polish under cold water
One tip for drying nail polish quickly is putting your hands under cold water. Now when I've tried this and then gone to dry my hands, my nail polish smudged everywhere. I then read that you're meant to leave your hands to dry naturally after putting them in water. To me, this kinda defeats the object of putting them in water in the first place. Its much easier to pick up a good polish and just let them dry naturally. Less hassle, trust me.

Using mayonnaise on hair
As much as I love mayonnaise, putting it on your hair as a conditioner is just a big no no. It doesnt make your feel any more conditioned than a good hair conditioner or hair mask. I've also heard the same thing about beer, which I imagine will just make you smell like a brewery all day? A hair mask, such as the Macadamia hair masque is a far nicer smelling option!

Have you tried any of these tips?Did they work for you?

55 comments

  1. Love this post! The nail polish under cold water thing has always seemed pretty odd to me as well - if you're gonna wait for the water to dry you may as well wait for the polish to dry! x

    http://leahpaigejones.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont really understand it to be honest haha x

      Delete
  2. Mayo on the hair, I've never heard of that one, how strange!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried toothpaste too and it was such a fail!!
    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it might work for someone but I've heard a lot of people say the same x

      Delete
  4. I completely agree about the mayo in the hair! It's not anything special. I've never heard of using steam to set your makeup... I think my makeup would slip off! I was going to try the cold water to dry nails, but now I'm not going to. :)

    Peace & Sunshine,
    Sammi at Sammi Sunshine- A Food Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the steam one is a strange one x

      Delete
  5. Toothpaste on spots used to work for me when I was younger but I've tried different spot treatments since and they're waaay better!

    http://ciarapocket.blogspot.ie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I think treatments are prob better to use x

      Delete
  6. LOL! Steam sets makeup? I've never heard that one before that's very strange XD

    Cat | LilacGhosts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, some parts had me giggling. Toothpaste on spots is definitely a myth, I have tried it too.

    www.esttrill.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tried the cucumber thing and the cold water on nails thing... the rest of them were just too daft to laugh at... mayonnaise on my hair errr no thankyou!! :)

    xx
    Jade
    Beauty Butterfly | UK Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no I dont think it would smell very good x

      Delete
  9. I think EVERY girl has tried and tested all these at least once! The toothpaste one was one I never enjoyed, it was too tingly ha and didnt work for me! Just left my face minty fresh! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These have never worked for me either! But I must admit, I haven't tried mayonnaise on my hair yet, but I don't think I will!

    www.aletterfromem.blogspot.co.uk
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it doesnt sound appealing x

      Delete
  11. I've never got the toothpaste on spots thing, either - never worked for me!
    Mayonnaise in your hair works because of the protein from the eggs, but like you say, hair masks are a much nicer option ;D

    Jess xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha, I agree with you.. although the cold water trick works for me! But I just had WTF moment also on the very last point... Who would even try mayo on their hair?! WHAAAT?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Toothpaste on spots! Now this is one I've tried & tested, not only do you look hilarious with white patches on your face but it did nothing for me
    http://www.letstalkbeauty.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think spot treatments are a better option x

      Delete
  14. Lovely post! Your blog is really cool. Love- Ally:)
    www.allysworldblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interestingly enough, my fiance tried toothpaste on bug bites. When he was in India for work, his leg got devoured and the toothpaste helped with the inflammation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've tried the nail polish under water too and I had the same result. Great post, very helpful :)
    Vicki x

    What A Little Pickle

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mayonnaise on hair - no thanks, I think I'll stick to usual conditioners.... call me conventional :o) Xx

    Makeup by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
  18. I tried running my nails under cold water to help them dry faster and it always works for me. I tried a mayonaisse DIY hair mask once and hated it. I've never tried a DIY hair mask that has made my hair feel nicer than before or nicer than what a conditioner would make it. The other ones I haven't tried xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a good conditioner works well :)

      Delete
  19. HAIRSPRAY on your face???? Hahahaha! Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! I tried the toothpaste one as well. Didn't work. Great post, though! x

    http://lipstickdaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Steam opens your pores, so how is it meant to set your makeup I have no idea. I've also read that you should never get into a shower with a face full of makeup, which I never do because it feels disgusting. Toothpaste on spots never worked for me either. Why do we try these crazy things? xx

    Malinda | Corrupted By Society

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the things we do for beauty x

      Delete
  21. I love this post! Nail polish in cold water was the bane of my life when I was younger- I didn't understand why it didn't work!
    Imogen's Typewriter. <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Only thing that works for eyes is potato slices, but that's just to clear them, not for puffiness or anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive never tried that - good tip x

      Delete
  23. I have to disagree with your last point, or at least add an addition. When u have heard people use mayonnaise as a hair mask, it's usually as a thickener for other things - egg and honey mainly, which are great for hair. Homemade mayonnaise IS amazing for hair though, just not your regular jarred stuff. I always add some essential oil to make it smell nice. Also beer is meant as a cleaser product, not conditioner, and is used in a simpliar way to a cleansing shampoo. Never tried that one though!

    http://ninegrandstudent.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that makes much more sense x

      Delete
  24. I have only tired the nail polish in water but it works half the time for me. It does get them dry if it is one coat but if it is thick layers then it doesn't. Some of these just sound funny to me.

    Jackie | fashionxfairytale | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  25. If you run the cold tap and then dip your nails into a sink of cold water it does make them touch dry, but only if the nail polish is decent - nothing works like a good fast drying top coat!
    Other than that, great post - I can't imagine getting in the shower with my make up on?! Hideous! xx
    The perks of being a hipster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep I think you need a good polish x

      Delete
  26. This post interested me at first for the title! And while i was reading it i saw we share the same opinion and some experiences.. The last one shocked me a bit.. who wants to have their hair smelling like beer and mayonnaise?! xx
    http://marybloomy.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loved this post, handy to know what works/doesn't work for some people. I personally find toothpaste does work, a bit!

    Sophie x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have never heard of the mayo on the hair one. I certainly won't be trying it now though. I find the nails in cold water works quite well, certainly speeds up the drying process for me. Great post!
    strupag.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. some of them are a little strange x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo