Hot Cloth Cleansers | Are They Worth It?

hot_cloth_cleansers

Since starting a blog, I've become aware of a range of brands and products I probably wouldn't have paid second glance to otherwise. 
Hot cloth cleansers have been around for a while. The first one I ever heard about was the Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish but since then, theres been a few alternatives introduced to the market. Hot cloth cleansers are basically a cream cleanser applied to dry skin and removed with a warm damp cloth. Some are marketed as hot cloth cleansers, whilst others are simply labelled as cream cleansers but can be used in exactly the same way.
For me, hot cloth cleansers provide a deep cleanse and exfoliation whilst feeling gentle to use. I've used a few different brands so I thought I would do a run down of the ones I currently own.

The one that started the hot cloth cleanser trend, Liz Earles Cleanse and Polish* has won several awards. This was the first creamy cleanser I tried several years ago. Before then I used to use a gel foaming cleanser that left my face feeling tight and generally felt quite harsh, so using a creamy cleanser was a revelation. Liz Earles cleanse & polish feels slightly heavier in comparison to other cleansers featured in this post. It contains cocoa butter and rosemary and eucalyptus oils to decongest, stimulate and moisturise. Its also free from mineral oil and is great for removing makeup as well as cleansing. I personally love the Liz Earle muslin cloths as they feel strong and have a rough texture, great for exfoliating. However, they do become discoloured quite quickly. The cleanse and polish can be used on all skin types. On my oily skin, I prefer to use this once/twice a week as I feel my pores can get clogged if I use this every day. However, I love that it leaves my skin looking brighter and healthier. 

The newest hot cloth cleanser I own is one recommended for normal to dry or mature skin. The organic surge anti-ageing brightening hot cloth cleanser* contains shea and cocoa butters, rose oils and aloe vera leaf juice. Its free from parabens, sls, fragrances and colorants. This doesnt come with a cloth so I use either the liz earle cloths or a flannel (Primark sell three flannels for £1.50, which are really lovely).
The consistency of this is thinner than the liz earle but still very creamy and gentle to use. When I use this, my skin feels hydrated, toned, smooth and radiant. A good all rounder.

The Pai Camellia & Rose Cleanser* is ideal for dry and sensitive skin. This has the lightest formula of all cleansers featured here but its still extremely creamy. Its free from alcohol and ingredients that can trigger redness in the skin, such as witch hazel and peppermint. I like to use this if I've got any blemishes as it really calms my skin down. It also makes my skin feel really soft and smooth and its definitely one to check out if you have sensitive skin as it really is super gentle.

THE LUXE CLEANSE - ELEMIS PRO-RADIANCE CREAM CLEANSER £29
Aimed at ageing skin, the Elemis Pro-radiance Cream Cleanser is designed to deeply cleanse to reveal a youthful complexion. Ingredients include moringa seed peptide and assai fruit to defend against daily pollutants. I find the texture to feel creamy yet high quality with a luxurious feel. My skin feels cleansed, radiant, hydrated and smooth. The cleanser still feels gentle and keeps my oily skin balanced despite being quite a rich cream. A good quality cleanser if you're looking to splash out.

THE CREAMS FOR IRRITATED SKIN - REN EVERCALM GENTLE CLEANSING MILK £16 
TRILOGY VERY GENTLE CLEANSING CREAM £22.50
The Ren evercalm gentle cleansing milk is perfect for delicate skin as it soothes whilst cleansing. Ingredients include omega oils from artic blackcurrant seed oil to reduce inflammation and flavonoids to calendula to heal. Ren skincare is free from parabens, mineral oil, sulfates and silicones. You can remove the cleanser with water if you don't want to use a cloth or flannel. This is a great cleanser to use if your skin has sore blemishes, sunburn or just extra sensitive as its extremely soothing. 
Likewise, the Trilogy very gentle cleansing cream is perfect for easily irritated skin. Its fragrance and essential oil free. When I use this cleanser, my skin feels refreshed, clean, soft and soothed. I do like this cleanser but if I had to choose between the two, I'd say the Ren Cleanser is cheaper and does everything if not more that the Trilogy cleanser does.

For a more budget friendly option, I would recommend the Superdrug Vitamin E Hot Cloth Cleanser, which is a really nice option for the price and a good starting point if you want to try a hot cloth cleanser without splashing out. You can read my review of it here.
For me hot cloth cleansers/cream cleansers are worth buying as they cleanse without leaving my skin feeling tight or irritated. My favourites are probably the Elemis and Ren cleansers as they are my most used but all these are good products.

Let me know if you've tried any of these or if you have a favourite hot cloth/cream cleanser


10 comments

  1. Hot Cloth Cleansers are my favourite method to date for cleansing my face, I'm a huge fan of the Liz Earle one as well as the REN Rosa Centifolia Hot Cloth Cleanser.
    Amy x | A Little Boat Sailing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like using a Hot Cloth Cleanser & find the process quite relaxing. I like your roundup & there are a few in there that I've not tried - like the Pai Camellia & Rose Cleanser, this is on my wishlist. I can recommend the No7 one, this is a great budget friendly buy
    http://www.letstalkbeauty.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best hot cloth cleanser I have ever used is 9 to 5 from Lush. It's a great price at only £9.50 for 240g and doesn't bother my sensitive combination skin. You need such a small amount that it will last months, definitely a Holy Grail product for me.

    www.thevegantaff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Liz Earle cleanse and polish, the REN one sounds lovely too!

    Tara xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really interesting post, great to see all the different alternatives out there. Been thinking about purchasing one for a while now, think I might just have to once I've run out of my current collections.

    Kristy | http://itsablondiiething.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried the famous Liz Earle C&P, a Superdrug one and a couple of others and concluded my skin finds the method too harsh for it! I love light, creamy cleansers though x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard great things about the Pai cleanser and want to give that one a go. I've tried the Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish (of course!) and I did like it, but didn't love it as much as I hoped I would.

    Beccy // Bluebell & Bumpkin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Liz Earle and REN one :)
    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting...I've been using Liz Earle's for a while now and never thought to try any others. I love it along with the toner, but find the moisturiser leaves my skin really greasy! I agree about the muslin cloths too- I have to throw them away after a while even though I put them in a white wash!
    Katie x
    www.missenchanting.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. These all sound great, I use the Elemis one personally and I love it!

    makeupbyjesswhitbread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo