Improving Your Blog Photography!

improving_photography

When I started blogging, one of the first things I struggled with was photography. I knew pretty much nothing about taking photos and its still something I'm trying to get to grips with.
My blog photography is very much work in progress. Even though I'm quite a creative person, its not something that comes easily to me. I've learnt a few things along the way and I'd like to think my photos have improved over that past two years that I've blogged. Today, I have a few tips to share - this wont be anything too technical but I'll link a few other bloggers posts that explain the tech side way better than I ever could.

GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA
Although I do have a dslr camera (canon 1100d - which I would recommend if you're looking for a beginners dslr) I actually bought it before I started blogging. Knowing what I know now, I would definitely say that you don't need a fancy camera for blog photos. You can get good quality digital cameras fairly cheap so you really don't need to spend a lot of money. Its easy to get sucked into with everyone else is buying and what other bloggers are using but if you have a budget, theres no need to go over it. If you are looking for a new camera, I recommend this site where you can have a look at different camera/functions etc. Also don't be afraid to go instore and ask for assistance with purchasing. The main thing with a camera is getting to know how it works - there should be some guides online/youtube and also if you can, spend some time playing around with the functions, taking photos and seeing how they look when you upload them. 

TURN OFF THE FLASH
When I first heard this suggestion from other bloggers, I couldn't understand it. I used to take all my photos with the flash on - it was like my best friend. It was only when I started to play around with my camera that I realised how harsh it really looks. 

PHOTO

With flash, the light bounces off certain areas, whereas with natural lighting it just looks far nicer. Luckily, now the weather is improving, its far easier to make the most of the light available. When indoors, I try to take my photographs as near to a window as I can. I don't own any lighting buts its something I may consider in winter. Temporary Secretary wrote a great post for fashion bloggers and lighting in this post.

PHOTO EDITING
Again, this is something I never really bothered with in the early days, apart from cropping. These days I do edit my photos a little more. Gwen from This Fashion is Mine wrote an amazing post on photo editing here and this is pretty much how I now edit my photos. However, you don't need photoshop to edit your photos. I like to use ipiccy as well - you can work with curves, levels and saturation on there. Its less complex than photoshop but still a good (and free) programme to use.

BACKGROUNDS
A nice background can make a huge difference to a photograph and give it that something extra. I like to use either my ikea helmer, notebooks, makeup bag, trays, magazines etc. You could really use anything - if you're stuck for something try taking a few free wallpaper samples from a DIY shop. I would say try not to use anything that looks cluttered so the products you're focusing stand out. You could try different things. I usually take around 50 pictures for each blog post - sometimes they might look good on the camera screen but once uploaded they might not look right so I like to take a lot of photos.

SIZING
Finally, sizing your photos to a medium/large size can really help them to stand out on your blog. You can resize your photos to all the same size by reading this post I wrote not too long ago. I find smaller pictures can get lost within the text and nice, clear photos will help to draw readers into the blog post.

These are just a few things I've learnt, like I said I'm no expert and I try not to get too hung up over the fact that my photos might not look quite as good as others. If you struggle with photography like I do, try to focus on your content and just do the best you can. As I always say, blogging is meant to be fun so try not to fret too much!



47 comments

  1. Love these tips. I'm new to the blogging scene so this is very helpful.

    Stay Styled,

    Lindsey
    http://staystyledoc.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved & pinned your post :) I have the same camera model ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great tips here - I really like the editing point and is something I must do more!

    Beccy // Bluebell & Bumpkin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the helpful blogging tips...and I mean all of them! I read so many helpful articles on your blog today alone & will be visiting back for sure.Have a fantastic weekend! XO ~Ireland
    http://www.hillbilliesinheels.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Give yourself time to take a photograph.. I know lots of people myself included.... have a limited time to take pictures...and sometimes...it's a rush job..when just an extra ten minutes or so would make a big difference...that's my future aim for my blog...to think what image I want to create/story I want to tell...and spend that little bit more time....and all the above as well!!

    http://vodkaandarose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips. I guess first on the list is...to buy a nice camera! :] // itsCarmen.com ☼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a nice camera helps but you can even get good photos on your phone x

      Delete
  7. These are helpful tips! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really fabulous tips!

    Stephanie
    http://missstephanieusher.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3436251
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I have the same camera as you. Camera Canon EOS 1100D it's great. Also great post.

    style-mepretty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Daisy, its pretty good camera huh x

      Delete
  10. Great tips - I always try to keep the flash off which can be really difficult when taking photos in dark restaurants. You have to learn to keep your hand extremely steady and for people to freeze their positions! Little London Girl x
    www.littlelondongirl.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love reading these kind of post because I'm always on the lookout at how I can improve on things I want for my blog and how to make it stand out more. Thank you!

    Toria (toria-creativemine.blogspot.co.uk)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really handy tips you mentioned there, thank you for the helpful advice :) x

    savvysuperstylish.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely tips! I'm still getting to grips with my photography so this was really helpful :D xx

    www.lifeinthefashionlanee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice post and tips:-)
    I would really appreciate it if you'd check out my blog?
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12285285
    www.racheljaynebeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm new to the blogging world so this was a really helpful post for me :) I think I'll be sticking to my phone camera for now which is a HTC one mini but maybe put a camera on my birthday wish list ;)

    Feel free to check out my blog

    Kelskurls.blogspot.com

    Keli xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a great post. I am a beginner at blogging and photography so I do not have a clue on how to take a decent picture. My Dad has got a Nikon D600 which I am fortunate enough to borrow occasionally. But I honestly feel like I have been thrown in the deep end when using it as there are so many buttons and functions to choose from!

    REWardMakeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cameras are quite hard to use!I'm still struggling to use mine x

      Delete
  17. These tips are so helpful, great post <3
    KKKIRANXOXO
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bookmarked this, I really need to learn how to take better photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love these tips :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for the tips!
    -Elizabeth xx
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is what I am after, finding backgrounds isn't exactly the hardest part of taking photos. For me it's getting good lighting! But I will experiment more! xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. You've got some amazing, helpful tips here! I'm new to blog photography, and I really need to improve it ASAP. I'll try all these tips, thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these tips, I'm really new to taking photos for my blog but I'm loving experimenting with it - completely agree about the flash! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo