Reverse Hair Washing | Tried & Tested!

reverse_hair_washing

When it comes to haircare products, I either love them or hate them. Recently I've picked up a few new products from Boots/Superdrug and I decided to try something different.

Reverse hair washing was something I first heard about in a magazine and I cant remember for the life of me which one. Since then its a trend I've seen talked about a lot online so I thought I'd give it a go, especially as where my hair is concerned theres lots of room for improvement.
Reverse hair washing is when you apply conditioner before shampoo. You use it in exactly the same way you normally would, just in reverse order. I must admit, I thought it just sounded like the latest craze but I definitely think I've seen a change.
For the past few weeks, I've been mainly using the above three products (apart from when I'm having a lazy day and I'll just use a shampoo). When I go to wash my hair, I'll wet it and apply the Loreal Elvive Triple Resist Reinforcing Conditioner. I'm pretty impressed with this conditioner - my hair feels stronger since I started using it and it hydrates without weighing my hair down. Its not the most moisturising so it wouldn't be great for really damaged/dry hair and I'm not keen on the packaging as it looks quite grubby after a while. However, for an everyday conditioner, its one of the better ones I've tried and you don't need to leave t on long either for it to get to work. 
Once I've rinsed my conditioner, I've been using the Schwarzkopf Essence Ultime Omega Repair Shampoo. I love this shampoo, especially as it doesn't make my hair feel greasy. My roots get oily quite quickly but I've found this shampoo is just as good as higher priced ones for keeping my hair clean and looking healthy. It contains omega oils to nourish and repair and its definitely made my split ends look better, so I will 100% repurchase. Another shampoo I've been using is the Boots Expert Build Up Removal Shampoo. Suffering from oily roots and using product in my hair, can make my hair look really lank. I generally only use this shampoo once a week for a deep cleanse and to remove any build up. I find my hair is super clean afterwards and like the Schwarzkopf shampoo, it doesn't make my hair feel oily or weigh it down.
Since I've been reverse hair washing, I've found my hair to have more body, bounce and thickness. My hair is naturally thick anyway but its gone even thicker which I didn't think was possible. Reverse washing is meant to work in a way so you don't have any left residue from conditioning on your hair. I totally see where that is coming from and it makes sense. I don't feel that using shampoo after conditioner has made my hair drier in any way, though I do like to use a hair oil to keep it nourished. It did feel strange at first but now I've got used to it, I'll probably continue to wash my hair the same way. I know shampooing is meat to open the hair cuticle, meaning its open to damage but I cant say my hair feels that way. Then again, I use very little heat on my hair and using a hair oil, really helps to keep it sleek and shiny. Moral to the story; reverse hair washing has worked for me but its something you need to try for a few weeks to see if its for you. If your hair is really damaged, then it might not be for you but if you want a little extra volume and thickness then its worth a go!


30 comments

  1. Sounds good, although i'm not sure i'm going to give it a try. My hair type seems similar to your own (oily quickly at the roots) so maybe it might be worth a go!
    I would really appreciate it if you'd check out my blog?
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12285285
    www.racheljaynebeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried it and loved it at first but I think my ends are a little too dry! I think I might invest in an oil to try help this! And that shampoo sounds like it would be good as I also suffer from oily roots (boo!)

    < a href="http://www.thechinadolldiaries.blogspot.co.uk/">The China Doll Diaries

    Love Lisa xxxxxxxx :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read about this in the Daily Mail....and I am keen to give it a go...but I keep applying my shampoo first.....old habits and all that!! ;(
    http://vodkaandarose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it takes a lit to get used to x

      Delete
  4. This has been everywhere, I think I may have to give it a go!
    thegirlsnextdooruk.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds very intriguing! I need to give it a go!

    CassandraMyee | Beauty | Fashion | Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll probably give this ago, although i have really dry curly hair (nightmare) but i'm interested to see if it improves the volume and thickness....Brilliant post.

    Keli xx

    kelskurls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its the first time that i've read about this. But I might not try this... I don't know why but it feels like my hair will become more oily than it really is..

    themiasalazar.blogspot.com | the suburb scenes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it hasnt made my hair any oilier but I know what you mean x

      Delete
  8. I love that build up removal shampoo. Keep meaning to try reverse washing, i'm very intrigued by it!

    Sophie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've done this for years, I find it really works well for my hair type!

    makeupbyjesswhitbread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what hair type do you have x

      Delete
  10. I have seen this everywhere! Glad you got along with it. I have been too nervous to give this a try, but I might now. Xx

    http://xoxomeaghan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you could always try it once x

      Delete
  11. I think this technique is too harsh on the hair, I might be one of those people that will not give this new trend a try!

    xx
    Ana Leote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know what you mean x

      Delete
  12. Good morning dear.
    Thank you for review about Schwarzkopf Essence Ultime Omega Repair Shampoo. When I will be in UK next time I definitely will try it :)
    Now the best shampoo for me is Tony&Guy for Damaged hair. Maybe you will like it.
    Hugs!
    Vanessa Key

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look for the Toni and Guy shampoo x

      Delete
  13. I read about this this week and it makes really good sense to me! Xx

    Lauraslittleloves

    ReplyDelete
  14. I stopped using conditioner so often because I didn't like the feel of my hair after using it. I tried reverse shampooing yesterday after reading this post and my god...my hair felt amazing! Thanks for sharing this and helping me discover a better hair routine :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That repair shampoo sounds lovely as I hate products that leave my fine hair feeling heavy or greasy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo