Trend on Trial | Matte Red Lips

matte-red-lips
Matte lips are becoming a huge trend at the moment. As I'm incredibly pale, I find a bright shade tends to suit me better. Right now, red lips are my thing. I've managed to find some good lipstick formulas too, which means worrying about dry lips is a thing of the past.


The Revlon Colorburst Matte Balms are a soft and smooth matte formula with high pigmentation. The shade striking (far left)  is a bright red/coral. In comparison to the other two lip products here, the shade is darker and the formula is waxier. Lip crayons are easy to apply, though perhaps a slightly overdone trend now?However, the revlon versions are affordable and ideal if you're on a budget.

The new Clinique Long Last Soft Matte Lipsticks have an amazing formula. You may have noticed that I've mentioned these a lot over the past few days and theres a good reason why. The texture is soft, creamy, highly pigmented and feels comfortable to wear. I have the shade mandarin (centre) which is an orange toned red. I love this shade as its just perfect for summer and its an easy shade to wear. I'm not 100% sure I can pull off an orange shade of lipstick, so an orange/red is the far better option. Clinique is a more expensive option than Revlon but I feel the texture is worth paying more for - it feels more hydrating and just all round nicer to wear on the lips.

matte-red-lip-swatches

The Rimmel Kate Moss Lipstick in 110 has been one of my all time favourite lipsticks for a while. The formula isn't as matte as the other two lippies here which makes it easier to wear if you're new to the whole matte lip trend. Its highly pigmented, creamy and so comfortable to wear. 110 (far right) is also a coral red but with a pink undertone - its lighter and brighter than Revlon Striking and more red/pink toned than Clinique Mandarin. For the price, you cant go wrong with Rimmel 110 - it does have a slight synthetic scent but it wears off and you cant taste it during wear. 

All three of these have good formulas and wear well - I generally find matte textures wear longer on the lips than glossy finishes. Rimmel 110 is the ultimate budget buy in my eyes but for a splurge, the Clinique soft matte lipsticks are 100% worth buying! 


45 comments

  1. I haven't tried lip crayons but I am tempted to give them a go. I love the Chanel lipsticks I find they last for ages on the lips and the texture is lovely. I have a million different pinks but I need to explore more with red lipstick!!

    xxalldolledupxx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out the chanel lippies :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely colours. I have so many pink lipsticks to experiment with but only a few reds.

    xxalldolledupxx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think reds take a bit of getting used to :)

      Delete
  3. This post made me very excited hehe! I love matte lips, especially red and I am desperate to try the Clinique lipsticks! Great post!
    Tori x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The clinique soft matte lip sounds gorgeous! Great post :)

    Sophie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie, they're such a good lipstick x

      Delete
  5. Definitely must try the Rimmel one. However, I do like the orange tones in the Clinique one. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the rimmel one is a real bargain buy x

      Delete
  6. I'm obsessed with matte red lippies at the moment and now I want all of these :o the formulation of the Clinique lipsticks sounds so good, I'm going to have to look at their shade range now and see if theres anything for me, I picked up one of the new Bourjois matte velvets the other day in hot pepper and it is the best matte red and lasts so long! definitely recommend xx

    EmmiHearts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so many good things about the bourjois matte velvets x

      Delete
  7. I've been looking for a corally-red for ages so I decided to buy the Revlon Balm and the Kate Moss Lipstick, the same ones as you got, but unfortunately they're too bright for me which sucks :/ But I really like the formula so I'm hoping once my hair fades back to light brown (Stupid me for dying it dark so close to summer) it might not look as strange :) Awesome post! x

    http://books-and-memories.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. They all look great! Thanks for sharing!

    blousesandblush.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are beautiful colors! I have same Clinique lipstick, but in more pastel pink color :) Beautiful and very comfortable to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the rimmel kate lipsticks! I don't tend to wear bright lipsticks too much, i always put them on but am then too scared to actually wear them outside! xx
    mollyox.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they take a bit of getting used to dont they x

      Delete
  11. These all look like such lovely shades, I wish I was braver when it comes to lips! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could pull it off x

      Delete
  12. Great post - I'm not a huge fan of the Revlon balms (I don't like the peppermint taste) but I love the Rimmel Kate Moss lipsticks. They have a great smoothing formula - Rimmel are my go-to lip brand x

    All Things Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah the revlon ones dont have the nicest scent x

      Delete
  13. I would love a blog post on the reds to choose for each skin tone
    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good idea, I'll have a think x

      Delete
  14. I love matte red lips. They look uber classy! x

    Shang J. | The Feminine Crusade

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm loving these red shades, matte lips are always something I gravitate towards xx
    Stefanie | Casualllyawkward | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the Clinique lipstick in that shade in my online Clinique basket at the moment. I really like the look of it but have already gone over my makeup budget for this month & next month we're supposed to be saving any surplus cash for our hols at the beg of August. It will be mine though. Just not sure when!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it'll be something to look forward to though x

      Delete
  17. super cute color ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with bright shades looking nice on us pale girls! I've found one of the most flattering shades on me is a bright, deep pink.

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pinks work really on pale skintones x

      Delete
  19. Gorgeous shades, love them all!
    xprincessjas | xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've wanted a matte red colour with orange undertones for a while now. Definitely think its worth trying one of these out!

    beautyobsessionxo.blogpsot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you could give one of these a try :)

      Delete
  21. I really love matte lips, but I need to scrub my lips well to make sure it looks right! Thanks for the recommendations:) You should try the Etude House Rosy Lip Tints!

    Laila from Townhouse Palette ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo