10 Ways To Make Your Blog Reader Friendly


In my 2+ years of blogging, I've picked up a few tips and tricks along the way. I'm in no way a blogging expert but as a blogger and reader, theres a few suggestions I can make to make sure your blog is more user friendly.

1. Make sure your email address is visible on your blog. Having this makes it much easier for readers/companies/pr to get in touch with you.

2. Social media icons/ways to subscribe - make these clearly visible either near the top of your blog or on your blog posts too. It'll make it so much easier for people to subscribe and find you on twitter etc. 

3. Use clear pictures, especially on swatches. It makes it easier to see the products and shades etc.

4. Try to keep your design uncluttered. Having too many things going on, such as flashing icons that should remain in the myspace days can make your content harder to read.

5. Use a clear font - it makes your text much easier to read. 

6. Make your blog easy to load - not always easy depending on your host (blogger sometimes plays up and wont load properly) but keeping your design fairly simple and using quick loading fonts can make it easier.

7. Use sections for your blog - an about page, contact details, disclaimer, advertising etc. Any pages where further information can be found so users and new readers can learn more about you and your blog.

8. Consider linking to previous blog posts - use an archive, categories, popular posts, widgets such as linkwithin, nrelate, engageya. This is a great way of allowing users to view previous blog content and also a good way to boost your views and decrease your bounce rate.

9. Remove captcha. Its so frustrating when you comment on a blog and have to type the code afterwards, especially as they're so hard to read these days. You can put comment moderation on your blog if you want to pre-approve comments and reduce spam. 

10. Consider using your photograph on your blog. Its not necessary but its nice to see the person behind the blog and I think its adds a little something to your blogs identity. 


20 comments

  1. great article, it really makes me think and consider to re-arrange my blog.

    x Julia from Juliasfashionminute.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant tips, very useful - thank you!
    Philippa // Time For Teal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips, I agree with removing the captcha, those things are annoying!

    xx
    ladyporter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! Even though I've only just started blogging, I definitely agree with keeping everything uncluttered. There's nothing worse than being distracted by copious amounts of everything, everywhere! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like it when bloggers use Disqus for comments! It makes it so much easier to reply as you get little notifications ;-)

    ellabooxo • beauty & lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post! I sure will follow this! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely tips, i love your blog, and your posts are always super helpful!
    http://xprincessjas.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/benefit-watts-up-highlighter-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes to all of these! Especially Captcha- the bane of my life!
    Imogen's Typewriter. <3 

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree with removing captcha! Sometimes if I really have something I want to contribute to the discussion I will do it, but at other times I instantly click out.

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great. I definitely need to add some icons at the top of my page so it's easy to follow on twitter etc.

    Jenn
    Photo-Jenn-ic

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. This is so useful. Thank you.

    style-mepretty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these tips! I definitely have to add in an about and disclaimer page!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a brilliant post, I definitely agree about Captcha - so annoying! x

    lillies and lipbalm

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so helpful! A friend and I just started our new blog, jnmkeepntouch.blogspot.com and are still trying to figure it all out! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post- thank you for sharing your tips!!

    XX
    Miri

    http://currentlywearing.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really useful tips, it can be so hard sometimes to make sure your blog is as accessible as possible, I know I'm always wondering whether I need to do this or do that...

    http://lilhm.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! Thanks so much for sharing the tips X

    http://mickeyxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm already doing these things YAY! thankyou for sharing your tips :)

    bellachicgirl.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  19. super helpful, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo