Perfect Priming


Primers are one of those products that I never used to bother with. I just didn't see the point. However, as I have oily skin it makes a hell of a lotta sense to use them.
My favourite primers are those for eyeshadow. I have extreme oily eyelids - I've even been asked if I was wearing eyegloss before (is there even such a thing). Finding eyeshadow primer was a major beauty breakthrough in my life. No more layering eyeshadow and praying it stayed on. Now, I've tried a few, both good and bad but right now I have a few decent ones in my collection.

The Soap & Glory Its About Prime is a brightening eye primer suitable for both oily/non oily eyelids. As its slightly yellow toned, its great for neutralising redness around the lids area too. The tube is like your standard lipgloss wand. I like to apply it straight to my lids and blend in using my finger - it takes a minute or two to dry but it really helps my shadow to last longer and not crease. Another eye primer I really rate is the the E.L.F Mineral Eyeshadow Primer. For me, this is similar to the Urban Decay Primer Potion, except that the formula is thinner. I find the UDPP to be really drying, making my eyelids looking crinkly. The e.l.f mineral primer looks like a concealer but applies to leave a matte finish. It makes my shadow last longer, crease free and look smooth. I've had several tubes of this and its one I will keep repurchasing as its fantastic value for money (I cant find it online, please say it isnt discontinued). A new primer I'm currently testing is the Makeup Revolution Focus & Fix Eye Primer*. I'm currently on the fence with this one. Under cream shadow it really didn't work for me but I've yet to test under powder shadows so we'll see. The main negative for me is that it doesn't dry down, so its probably better for those with non oily eyelids. Then again there is a matte version of this, which would probably be better for oily skins but I'll keep trying to see if I can make it work.

For the face, I have two primers I currently use. The New CID Foundation Primer* is more of your standard everyday primer. This brand is so underrated, especially this primer, which is incredible for keeping foundation in place. Its essentially a clear serum, which helps to blur imperfections, smooth the skin and control oil. It helps to keep my base intact for longer and give a flawless finish. Another primer, I like is the Monu Skin Perfector*. Although this isn't a traditional foundation primer, it minimises fine lines, imperfections, smooths the skin and gives a fresh and hydrated finish. The CID primer is better for oil control, whereas this one is suitable for all skin types and those looking for a silicone free product.

A recent find of mine is the Garnier Miracle Eye Cream. This is billed as an anti-ageing eye cream, which I cant really comment on as I haven't been using it long enough. However, for an instant fix - blurring lines, brightening and smoothing then this really does a great job. I enjoy using it as an undereye primer as I find it makes my concealer apply more smoothly and it feels hydrating too. Despite my oily skin, my undereye area tends to be dry so this cream is perfect. I either use it alone or I'll mix a bit of concealer with it for a more natural look.

What are your go-to primers?


9 comments

  1. I am obsessed with Garnier's products and I can't believe I missed this eye cream! I'm definitely going to pick it up next time I'm at the store!

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont really use primers too often, i dont find they do much for me at all!
    xprincessjas | xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that ELF primer too! I agree that the UD can sometimes be just a little too drying. I apply it and let it set for like 5 minutes before I put any eyeshadow on, which usually does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggle to find the perfect primer & have tested a few. I do like the sound of the Garnier Eye Cream & love that you have found a second use for it as an under eye primer
    http://www.letstalkbeauty.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm I might need to try one of these products!

    xx
    ladyporter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love primers! I only ever use UD Primer Potion on my eyes because it actually works + on my skin I have quite a few: L'Oreal Paris Miracle Blur or Moisture Blur, L'Oreal Paris Magic Lumi, Laura Mercier Radiance Primer + KIKO City Filter Primer :)

    annie | www.nouveauchique.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybelline Babyskin is my favourite primer at the moment. Although it's a bit pricey for it's size, the product itself is excellent, and the packaging is really good. It's a big difference from Maybelline's Babylips which I didn't get along with.

    Alaina x
    www.alainatbf.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use the Soap & Glory primer and it is really nice both under eye shadow and on it's own :) I like the sound of the Garnier eye cream though! xxx

    Blog This With Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually use the Smashbox primer, but looking to get a new one, great post <3
    KKKIRANXOXO
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo