A Few Blogging Myths...


1. Blogging will get you lots of 'freebies'.
One of the perks of blogging is receiving things to review free of charge. Having said that, theres no guarantee just because you have a blog, you're going to receive lots of products. The reality is that there are far more bloggers than samples. Blogs that only start for the purpose of getting products wont last long. Yes, if you work hard at your blog, put out great content and have passion then opportunities are likely to appear but they shouldn't be expected or taken for granted.

2. Looking like a supermodel will get you lots of subscribers.
Now, this is a tough one because for fashion blogging then I guess looks do play a part somewhat. However, you don't need to look a certain way to gain a readership. I read lots of blogs and for most of them, I have no idea what the writer looks like. If your content is good then people will read it. I've never read a blog because of what the writer looks like, maybe they are some people who do but in my honest opinion those people will get bored very easily if they're not there for the content.

3. You need to make youtube videos to be a blogger.
A lot of bloggers upload videos on youtube. It's something I considered until I actually got in front of a camera and froze - yep its not for me and I highly doubt I ever will. If its something you want to do then definitely give it a go. However, its not necessary and it doesn't make you any less of a blogger because you're not on there. I think some people think they'll automatically become the next Zoella but it takes a lot of hard work and in all honesty a lot of likability (and luck?) to become successful on youtube. 

4. Blogging will make you rich?
Well if only!Ha but seriously blogging isn't an easy path to make money. Yes there are ways to monetise your blog and some people are lucky enough to earn a living from it. However, for most blogging is a great hobby. 

5. You need money to be a blogger.
You dont need a lot of money to blog. You can have a read of my post on blogging when you're broke here. There are lots of things you can blog about without spending a penny. Its easy to think that you need to go out and buy every new product to review but you really don't. Try and think outside the box when it comes to writing.

6. Blogging is easy.
Before blogging, I never realised just how much time it takes to create a blog and all the things that come with it. You're a content creator, editor, admin, social media, all in one blogging machine and that eats up a lot of time. Yes its very enjoyable but like everything, it has its ups and downs, frustrations and all that jazz. If you're passionate then investing time and energy is 100% worth it!

7. Everyone lives in a dreamland of white walls, candles, flowers and cosy bedding.
Despite how things often look on blogs/social media, no-one has a perfect life or lives in a dream house filled with incredible things. Remember people only show snippets - everyone has their bad days and has their own struggles. In reality, I'm sure most bloggers are just like you and me and no-one is perfect despite perceptions.



check out my exclusive advertiser The Runner Beans

30 comments

  1. Excellent points. If only blogging made us rich and we were thrown freebies all the time! Blogging is hard work!
    I love number 7! I've just written a post on how things can be seen online and taken completely differently to what they're actually like in real life. It's not all candles and cosy bedding at all and it can actually be quite hurtful to be seen as something we're not.

    Jenn
    Photo-Jenn-ic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love! Totally agree with everything and I never thought that blogging was this time consuming! I honestly think that blogs are so important, I learn so many things in here :) xx

    Mary Bloomy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant post, I agree blogging takes up so much time especially for those of us who have hectic jobs too!

    www.hollyeverafter.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant post - I must say I'm guilty of thinking some of these things sometimes when I'm struggling with my blog, but it's good to see them written down and evaluated by someone else.

    Jenny xx

    ramblingsofajaffacat.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really liked this post! Blogging really eats up a lot of our time, and I also had no idea until I started my own blog. :)
    Inês x

    ipeachycoral.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. To me, blogs are a part of the writer's own personality. Every blog shows a bit of the owner, whether rich or broke, funny or white walls andò candele type, beautiful ad a rose or extremely self ironic AMD adorable.
    Those myths are created by those who know nothing, the Jon Snows of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. People thinning blogging easy is so so common, even my mum who I live with doesn't understand. Great post as always!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post!Yeah I agree with the last post,unfortunately my walls are purple and I don't have floral Cath Kidston bedding...

    have a lovely day,
    Jessie xo
    http://thechanginggirl.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post is brilliant. I'm sharing it on Google+... it covers everything I can think of that drives me crazy when people make assumptions about bloggers!
    www.natillie.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! Blogging is really time consuming. I never thought it would be until I started my own blog. I have a monthly budget to allow myself to have some things to play with and review on the blog, which helps as it keeps my expenses in control. Finally No7...what u said is so true! Most people now seem to show this white, flowery and perfect world, as if it was real. Unfortunately some buy this ideal life concept and try to copy it. X

    speakingbeautyuk.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your insight to blogging is always so helpful. I enjoy these posts very much.
    http://www.sweetwordsprettypictures.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this post. 100% completely true. Though some peoples Deco makes me want to decorate every room lol x

    Kate | A British Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree with you on all of these! It would be great if we could all life off of blogging though :).

    Greetings from LA
    http://www.janacalifornia.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a very real list of blogging myths! Blogging is definitely not easy..very time consuming but worth every minute of it. Wouldn't change a thing.

    Great post!

    Rachel xx
    pwndbyrach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a really great article! Thanks for sharing. It's so true how a lot of people think blogging is such an easy thing to do. ;)
    Juli Xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're right, blogging is a hobby. I enjoy writing and sharing my experiences with people, that's why I blog. I have to say sometimes I put pressures on myself especially when I'm completely out of topic to write on my blog. Now, I'm just trying to enjoy every second of it and think of blogging as something that I love to do :) Money and free samples won't make me the happiest person in the world, I mean it'd be great to have that experience, but honestly i'd rather hear people say something like "You inspire me" or "Thank you for your tips, they're very useful" that getting free samples from companies.
    I love reading your posts esp the advice you give us, it def improve my personality as a blogger :)

    xoxo
    www.colorsinmybubble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha number 7 is bang on! It's so important for people (especially younger teens) to realise that bloggers/youtubers are only sharing certain aspects of their lives, and that behind closed doors they are just the same as everyone else. Great post! Charlie x

    ReplyDelete
  18. When people learn I have a blog, they always assume I get free stuff, and they ask me about it! It's crazy. I wish I got free stuff. haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these points! They are so true, especially one, that blogging isn't that easy at all! It requires so much effort and big chunk of your time, but it definitely feels very rewarding to see your own bit of work in your own created space :)

    Patricija

    http://shelivesinglasgow.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Agree with these points so much! Abi :) myw0rldmyview.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  21. absolutely couldn't agree more

    Lauren xxxx
    Visit me : http://laurlauu.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post, thanks for sharing

    http://doinglifemyway.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a great post! I have to agree with everything that you wrote. I remember how reluctant I was to show my face or an outfit on my blog, Being far away from "perfect" and all.. but once I did, I received such a great response, it was really lovely. I personally love reading blogs written by people I can relate to.

    Paula
    My beauty and lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete
  24. great post!check out my blog please everyone, it would mean a lot! www.emilynewstead.blogspot.co.uk <3

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this post! Puts lots of things into perspective!

    http://shewhoisshort.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am loving this post, very true! I do love my blog but I know that it is only a hobby at the end of the day, I just like sharing my opinions and helping others by reviewing products <3

    LondonBeautyxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I totally agree to all of your points!

    lil-soybean.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  28. Could not agree more with these points! For anyone who thinks its easy must be a computer wizz, i've only posted one thing on my blog and it took me ages to figure out how.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I agree with every single one of these myths, such a great post!

    Salt and Chic // UK Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a brilliant post, I like the point about the snippets people put out there. It's so true you only show what people want you to see and not the bad days.
    Thanks for the follow. x

    https://northernmagpie.squarespace.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo