Dealing With Oily Skin | Products & Tips


Since being a teen, I've found it difficult to find products that don't make my oily skin either look even more of an oil slick or makeup products that stay put. However, recently I've managed to find a routine that works fairly well. 

MAKEUP

Starting with makeup, I've found the key to making your base stay put is a great foundation. You can have a good primer but if your foundation has no lasting power than it wont make a massive difference. Foundation wise, I swear by Revlon Colorstay. We'll ignore the 24 hr claim as seriously who wears their makeup for that long? However this foundation has serious staying power. Its the only 'drugstore' foundation I've found so far that stays put throughout the day and doesn't start sliding off half way through. For me, its light to medium coverage but its quite hard to blend as it dries quickly. Saying that, its one I always repurchase as for the price your cant really beat it. For a high end option, I really like Estee Lauder's Double Wear Light - good coverage and again wears well throughout the day. A primer, I use just to make my foundation last that bit longer is the New CiD Foundation Primer* - full review here. To conceal, I use either the Seventeen Stay Time Concealer or the well known Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer - the collection concealer has a thicker consistency than the seventeen one so which one I use depends on if I have any blemishes. Both are super cheap though and stay put. 
Despite a good base, I still usually need to set my makeup and blot during the day. I've used so many powders over the years but one of the best is the Vichy Dermablend Setting Powder - a white loose powder that controls oil with a matte finish. I love this powder so much as it really does keep your skin shine free. I only need to blot once during the day with this, whereas with other powders it can be a lot more. Its also non-comedogenic, fragrance free and has an SPF of 30. Its more expensive than some powders but totally worth it.
Finally, a quick note on eyes. My eyelids get really oily so a primer is a must. I really like the E.L.F Mineral Eye Primer (not sure if its been discontinued as its not on site anymore) and also the Soap & Glory Its About Prime Shadow Primer. Sometimes I'll also add a little MAC Paint Pot in nubile (ltd edition but painterly would make a good base too) just to make extra sure that everything stays put.


SKINCARE

TIP: when it comes to skincare for oily skin, don't just look at products tailored to your skin type. I find a lot of ranges catered for oily/blemished skin (such as clean&clear) can be too harsh and in the long run make your skin oilier. 

For cleansing, I prefer using cream/balm cleansers as foaming types tend to be very drying. Once a week I use the Liz Earle Hot Cloth Cleanser* - its quite a thick cream and too much for me to use on a daily basis but used once a week, it works it magic as a brightening treatment. For daily cleansing, the Avene Extremely Gentle Cleanser* is perfect. Its a cross between a cream and gel, doesn't need removing and is 100% gentle. For oily skin, this wont make your skin any oilier or dry it out and its really easy to use. 
Serum wise, I've been lucky enough to discover the Antonia Burrell Pure Therapy Facial Oil Serum*. This has really made a difference in balancing my skin and helping to keep it clear. It isn't heavy and sinks in well. Its by no means cheap but so far I'm seeing results. For something a little cheaper, the Liz Earle Smoothing Line Serum is a good choice. This is tailored to mature skins or those with the first signs of ageing. Its very light and can be used on the eye area and in place of your normal moisturiser on very oily skins.



TIP: Don't overspend on a regular toner. You can get some great toners in Boots and Superdrug - I like the organic surge orange flower toner and the No7 soft and soothed gentle toner - both are non greasy and feel light and refreshing. 

When it comes to moisturisers, I prefer light formulas. The Liz Earle Skin Repair Light* and Bioderma Sebium Intensive Purifying Care are both great options. Both can be used under makeup or as an evening moisturiser. The bioderma is better for blemished skin as its perfect for clearing up spots quickly, whereas the Liz Earle is ideal for oily but dehydrated skin.

TIP: Don't skip moisturiser. Even oily skins need hydration - go for lighter options or ones tailored for sensitive skin.

Twice a week, I pop on a face mask - for a deep cleanse, the Una Brennan Tea Flower Pore Purifying Mask is a brilliant option. Una Brennan has some amazing affordable products, I could have mentioned a few more in this post but a clay mask is a good staple for oily skin and this one only needs five minutes to work. Clay is a cheap ingredient so its really not worth spending £££'s on a mask. 
My all time favourite mask is the Antipodes Aura Manuka Honey Mask. This isn't cheap but its 100% worth buying. It smells gorgeous, feel gentle and nourishing, great for soothing blemishes. I could go on but trust me, this is a good 'un!

What are your favourite products for oily skin?


17 comments

  1. Great post, i always struggle with my oily patches x

    http://beautyssimplicity.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post, i always struggle with my oily patches x

    http://beautyssimplicity.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Revlon colourstay foundation, its amazing!
    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking for an affordable eye primer and the E.L.F one sounds perfect!

    Sophia // sophiebysophia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the tips! So helpful♥ xo

    >Beauty & Fashion Blogger<

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for these recs! I have a seriously shiny face. I have the Revlon foundation but need to check out some of the others :)

    magpiejasmine.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this post, I hate my oily skin, but I'll try anything to make it bearable!
    sophielfarrell.blogspot.co.uk
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have super oily skin in the summer, so I need to buy every product in this post!

    xx Sierra
    lovelygatekeeper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a fan of the Liz Earle cleanse & polish, but their other creams are lovely.

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've definitely added some of these products to my wishlist, great recommendations!

    http://shewhoisshort.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have oily skin and it used to be something that I struggled with for quite some time. Once I learnt how to look after it a bit better I was able to stop hating it so much. My favourite product so far has been the Lush Tea Tree Toner because it's so affordable and feels great on the skin. I also love the Revlon Colorstay and actually just wrote up my own little review on it. Was looking at trying out some of the Antipodes skincare line the other day, might have to purchase myself the mask now! Lovely, informative post :)

    Deb | Debra Bros Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great selection of products!
    XO
    Jeanne
    http://fashionmusingsdiary.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  13. For me makeup wise I can't live without my Collection concealer and my Rimmel Stay Matte powder, but I've heard a few really good reviews on the Vichy powder. Maybe I'll try that one day. x

    www.savvysuperstylish.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a great post :) I have combination oily skin so I'm constantly battling with my skin. My all time favourite products that I swear by to deal with the oils are: Urban decay all nighter setting spray, MAC prep and prime setting powder, Rimmel stay matte powder and I always carry around blotting sheets too :)

    Thank you for sharing your product reviews and your tips. Hope you have a great day! ♥

    *Yingcbeauty*

    X x X x X

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have oily skin and have been looking for a good powder for a while no, the vichy one sounds really good :). Meg x

    A Scholar Life

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great picks, I use two of them in the makeup section and some of the cleansers seem like really good products. Thanks for writing this post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Revlon Colorstay is the BEST! I too have oily skin and love with product <3

    Jess
    www.jessicaleona.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo