How To Feel Positive About Your Blog


Whilst blogging is mostly enjoyable, theres no denying that it can be a real roller coaster of emotions. Everyone blogger has those moments when they're frustrated or just generally feeling down about their blog or content. I've been there several times but theres a few things I reflect on during these moments and in general to help me feel more positive.

Do what you love
This is so important and possibly the one thing that should stick with you when you're a blogger. Write about what YOU want to write about. If you don't like or believe in what you are writing, how can you expect anyone else to? Even if its something you're not sure about posting - if in your heart you love what you've written, then post it. Whether it comes to content, design, photography, if its something you want to do, then follow your gut feeling. If you have passion in what you do, it will make the process of blogging so much more rewarding.

Don't compare yourself
I know sometimes that's easier said than done but comparing yourself to others really wont get you far. Remember that everyone starts out as a newbie with zero subscribers and a blank canvas. I always say this, but what makes you different is what is going to help you stand out.

Don't concentrate too much on numbers
Again, this is probably easier said than done, especially when you're new to blogging. It is exciting to look at subscriber and page view numbers - I remember being really excited when I had five subscribers as it was so surreal to me. However, spending too much time focusing your attention on these things may end up holding you back. Try to concentrate on where your strengths lie in your content - can you do amazing tutorials? great outfits? good photography? Focusing on your strengths and loves is what will make your blog an enjoyable read.

Remember blogging isn't a race
It can take a long time to build up a blog and readership. As I said, everyone starts out the same way. Its perfectly ok to take your time finding your voice and figuring out which direction you want to take your blog in.

Its OK to want to progress
Theres nothing wrong with wanting more for your blog. Though I don't think numbers should be a major concern, its OK to want to improve your blog and content and to become an all round better blogger. I consider myself to be work in progress, I'm not the best photographer in the world but its something I'm trying to improve. Theres so many tips out there on the web that can help with whatever it is you want to build on.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself
Take time out when you need to - everyone needs a break now and then. If you need help staying focused, a blogging schedule and getting organised can really help.

Do you have any tips for feeling positive about your blog?

34 comments

  1. Great post :) My blog is quite new, and I think the 'honeymoon period' is wearing off so I'm starting to find lots of things I don't like about it! I spotted this on twitter and it's picked me up and got me feeling better already :) Thanks!
    Jennifer xx
    www.ginevrella.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this. It has really helped boost my confidece and I will defintiley be using some of these tips. I often do compare myself to others and I know I shouldn't.

    http://whatmaisiedid.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips, I need to stop looking at numbers!

    bellachicgirl.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that writing about something you love is the key. I know that everyone says that, but it's sooo true :)

    www.wednesday19th,blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all of this so much. For me I knew from the start that I could never take any sort of money for my blog or it would become something else and thank goodness it has stayed at the place that I wanted it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this post! It's very helpful, I've been blogging for almost 2 years and I feel stuck sometimes. I am unsure whether people will find my topics interesting.

    ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried to stop focusing on my stats as it was really getting me down, and I feel a lot happier now :)

    India / Touchscreens & Beautyqueens

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips I think the most important one is don't compare yourself! Abi :) myw0rldmyview.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that you just don't need to rush things or to expect things to take off overnight - all good things take time and you need time to develop on your skills and hone in on exactly what you want your own blog to be.


    Jemma | Jemma In Words

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post is perfect for me right now, so thank you!
    Eilidh xx

    http://herprettystateofmind.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is awesome! Just started my blog and it can be discouraging when my photos or layout doesn't turn out the way I like it. Thanks for your advice! xo

    Mandy
    www.mandydacandy.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Zoe!
    This is a really valuable post.. I'm going to share it on my page. I especially find your bit about wanting progress to be quite reassuring- it's hard to strike a balance between moving forwards and getting obsessive about it!
    www.natillie.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not concentrating too much on the numbers is something I think we all deal with at one point or another. What gets to me most is when I get a lot of new followers in a short amount of time, and then none for a week. It can be frustrating and you wonder what you've changed, but I just think it's all part of blogging.

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. As I am new in blogging for me it was amazing to read it! :) Thank you !! :)
    Fashion Passion by Erika

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tips - it's so easy to compare yourself that sometimes which sucks the fun out of blogging! While being obsessive with numbers is a bad thing to do I think it's important to celebrate your small successes too even those that don't have anything to do with numbers. Like for me I finally managed to post up something that I had working with for weeks now! And I'm really proud that I managed to do it.

    x
    beauty, style, life || bespectacled

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for your advice! Coming from a newbie here, this post was very inspirational and helpful...thanks again!

    www.moniquitabella.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really great tips. I've been feeling own in the dumps with my blog recently, but I've bought a notebook and getting more into planning ahead. That's definitely helped me out!

    http://thebravestindividual.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is spot on ! Thank you =)
    I'm such a perfectionist and rewrite my article 10 times and I still haven't had the courage to tell my friends that I started a blog because I'm not sure wether it's any good.
    But I think that it's important to persevere … starting is not the easiest bit. I'm just hoping it'll get better.

    Feathers and Brushes | Beauty & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a great blog post, thank you (:
    Nicole♥ | Just a bit of Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into these advice posts about blogging. They really help me so thank you ! :) .x

    Alice Isabelle

    ReplyDelete
  21. People forget that it is not a race and that you can still be a successful blogger even if you are not as big or well read as others!

    xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are some really good tips, and I agree with your perspective on it all. It can all get a bit crazy and overwhelming at times, and there is a lot of pressure coming at bloggers these days. But I do it for the joy and in the end you just have to remember it's only a blog :) xxx

    The Persephone Complex

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for this post! The past couple of months I've been feeling really down about the progression of my blog but reading this has made me realise that you're right, it isn't all about the numbers. Thank you!
    www.darkeowlsmakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think it's really hard when a post that I really like doesn't get as many views. I constantly remind myself as to why I started my blog - to practice my writing. I want to become a better writer and if I get more views along the way then it's a bonus!

    www.clementinebuttercup.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great tips. I definitely need to remember some of these things when i'm in a rut!

    Sophie x

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are really great tips!

    http://mickeyxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you so much for sharing this, its very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I had nearly given up, but this post helped me get over the hurdle and keep writing - thank you :)

    http://cheekychat.bloggersdelight.dk

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you so much for the tips. I always feel that my blog isn't good enough, making me feel insecure, resulting me to be a pessimist when it comes to updating the blog. I should definitely stop comparing and just do it. Hoping that I could do better after some time.

    http://everythingaboutbella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is just what I needed to read today!

    I'm a complete newbie at blogging and frankly pretty overwhelmed by the whole thing -you've reminded me that I should blog because I want to and not for any other reason :)

    http://irambleonn.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you soo much for this ! I def needed this one!
    By the way I've just started blogging. It would mean a world to me if you checked out my blog and maybe followed me if you like ti?? Thanks !
    luxxveritatis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really found myself in this. Thank you for inspiration! :)

    www.curvyliciousme.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo