An Outlook on Blogging


Every blogger has reasons why they blog and views on how they perceive the blogging world. As I've written a few posts on blogging, I thought I'd share a few of my opinions on what drives me, pressure, competitiveness and all that lark (remember these are just my thoughts).

Competitive blogging
I don't see blogging as a competition - I hear a few people say that blogging seems this way but personally I've never felt that blogging is a competition for views/readers etc. I guess the only 'competition' is with myself as I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I'm always trying to improve my design, content and photos but that's just generally the person I am - work in progress, I guess you could call it!

Dont go chasing numbers.
For me, blogging isn't about chasing subscriber numbers or views - I don't set myself goals as I find they take the enjoyment out of writing. Theres nothing wrong with setting blogging goals but in my head it adds pressure and removes the passion. I try to keep my focus on creating content.

You cant be perfect.
Going back to being work in progress, I don't think my photography or content is absolutely perfect. I believe in myself a lot more than I did at the start of my blogging journey and I'd like to think that I've made some progress along the way. For instance, I've tried to improve my photography but its not immaculate. I don't have the perfect set up but I'm ok with that and I kinda like having little flaws as its part of who I am.

Just roll with it.
I'll let you into a little secret - I still have no idea what I'm really doing when it comes to blogging. As a blogger, you're constantly learning as you go along. I feel comfortable with where I'm at with my blog right now but I'm still figuring out which direction I'm going in and I tend to go with my gut feelings, rather than creating some big master plan. 

It's constantly evolving.
The blogging scene is a lot different to when I started. There are lots of wonderful opportunities out there and aspects, such as blog monetisation are becoming more of a standard. Blogging has offered me an opportunity to expand my writing and I'm starting to land freelance writing jobs as a result (hopefully there will be a post on this at some point). I don't take anything for granted but blogging can lead to other adventures.

Passion = excitement.
Being relaxed, not putting pressure on yourself and doing what you love is what makes blogging a wonderful outlet. Success means different things to different people but regardless of where you're at on your journey, you should be proud of your blog. If you're happy and passionate about what you do then you've cracked it. 


This post was a little more rambly than usual but I'm always interested in how people view the blogging scene. I'm sure it probably seems a lot different to bloggers than it does to those who don't blog. I'd love to hear your thoughts!




check out my exclusive advertiser The Runner Beans


17 comments

  1. i completely agree with you about competition, it's quite sad that people compete with each other just for the stats!

    love katy @ THE RAWRDROBE ♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rambling posts, that might be because I'm so nosy. I feel so similarly to you in terms of blogging it's just something fun to do not competitive x

    http://sophh-skii.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing I love most about blogging is that there aren't any rules and it makes it such an exciting medium! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post! So true as well. I love having blogging as a hobby because I always have so much to read (other people's posts) as well as so much to write (my own posts) Abi :)
    MyW0rldMyView

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really enjoying reading about your thoughts and tips on blogging. I blog mainly to work on my writing but I like that I'm discovering this little community on the internet.

    www.clementinebuttercup.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couldn't agree more! I barely ever look at my stats anymore. Blogging is much more enjoyable if you don't focus on numbers! Xx


    Sarah Nunn | UK Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post. I used to blog, but I took it too seriously and got too stressed and frustrated with it. I deleted everything and recently I have started blogging again and I'm much more enjoying it now. I don't have set days to post as I find it stresses me out too much and sometimes it just isn't always possible so now, I just aim for about 2 posts a week and it is much more relaxed :)

    Chloe Andrews

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is super encouraging and helpful! I love your perspective-- it's so healthy and happy. Thanks so much. x
    Daisy @ www.simplicityrelished.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a really nice post to read as a blogger who's feeling a little bit lost after making a new blog and struggling to get any readers! I think it's interesting that even someone as established as you has similar thoughts to me.

    www.natillie.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I feel that the majority of bloggers these days do focus on how many followers they have having seen the success that others have gained. I definitely think that it's more about enjoying yourself and having fun :) X
    thefashion-junkie

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a lovely journey. I am enjoying the continuing growth and the real sense of community.
    http://www.sweetwordsprettypictures.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great points - especially the last three! I am just going with it I have no idea where I want to take my blog or where it is going. It's already changed so much in the last two years, and so has the whole blogging community! Which is weird but nice!
    amber love

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always regarding blogging as a hobby - I like and enjoy writing, photography and it gives me an excuse to get out the flat and do some interesting things regardless if anyone reads it or not :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great read! I agree! Blogging itself isn't—or at least wasn't—my passion but it was an outlet and a use for my passions! Now I've found a new passion in connecting with others through my blog. xx

    —Rebecca
    wanderdust.co

    ReplyDelete
  15. I completely agree! I've just set up my own blog after following other fashion/styling blogs for a while, and one of the nicest things is the sense of community among bloggers and the idea that everyone is still learning as they go along x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sometimes bloggers act as if there is a pie of readers and that once the pie is divided then the readers dry up. When in reality this world is full of billions of people and there are enough blog readers to go around. People have been blogging since the '90s. Except it wasn't called blogging back then, and then in the early 2000's blogs really exploded when blog spot, live journal and movable type came onto the scene.

    People in 2003 said "oh there are too many blogs..." and that same argument gets repeated today. Bloggers now say, "I started in 2009 and it's going to be hard for you than it was hard for me." Clearly they were not around in 2003. Also, not everyone is interested in reading the same blogs. I know people who don't care about fashion blogs. They want to read PF blogs or cooking blogs. There are as many varied readers as there are bloggers.

    Also not all successful bloggers stay. Many bloggers that I read back in the early 2000's that were very popular have slowed down or quit. I knew a blogger who made more money from her blog than she did from her job but she didn't want to be a pro-blogger and sold her blog. I was reading "The College Prepster" blog and she wrote a blog post about how she blogged for 2 years before her blog started gaining readership. That's dedication.

    I really wish more people would relax when it comes to blogging rather than worry about making their blog "successful."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an interesting viewpoint! I tend to be the person that ends up taking it too seriously and always has to have a plan - but everything you say is true here, so some of us bloggers do need to consider that too. Thanks for your honesty :)

      The biggest thing I think about is how blogs are always evolving, too - I always wonder what will change and what will stay in 5 years.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo