Creating A Blog Disclaimer


These days blogging is so much more than just writing a post. With it comes the possibility of receiving samples from brands and monetising your blog. Here in the UK, theres somewhat of a grey are when it comes to disclosure. Officially you are not legally required to disclose samples like you are in the US. Paid content is another matter - you can read an official statement from the ASA (advertising standards authority) here. Basically, paid for content needs to be disclosed, though it would be the advertiser who would be investigated and not the blogger if content wasn't disclosed.

Having a disclosure is important as it allows you to be transparent with your readers as well as retaining some integrity. Whether you use a small disclosure on your main page, do an in post disclosure or have a separate page is up to you.
I have mine on a separate page, currently at the top of the page, under my header. I also put a * next to products that have been received for review purposes. I know a lot of bloggers do the same and I'm not really sure where it came from but it seems to work. I also disclosure on sponsored content or if products have been received in receipt of a post. What you decide to do is obviously up to you but if you're considering writing a disclosure then here a few things that may help.

What Do I Need to Disclose?
Regulations vary between countries to its best to check first if they are any legal requirements in your country. Generally, I'd say to disclose if your blog receives products for review, sponsored content or any other revenue.

What else?
If you hold giveaways on you blog, I would ensure readers that their details will only be held for that purpose. In other words, their details will not be passed on, sold or disclosed to any other party.
On my disclaimer, I've also disclosed 3rd party disclaimer, for instance I use skimlinks so I've added a link to their policy/cookie information. If you're using an affiliate network, it might be worth checking out their disclosure.

Theres no template out there for writing a blog disclosure. If you're struggling to write one, you are more than welcome to use mine and change the details to suit your blog. However, you dont have to have a page full of writing if you dont wish as you could combine it with an F.A.Q, contact me or about page etc.


check out my exclusive advertiser The Runner Beans

4 comments

  1. Hi Zoe,
    I've been struggling to write something appropriate to put on my little blog, and this is SO helpful. Thank you very much for this post-- I'm going to use it to re-word the current nonsense I have on my "Contact" page.
    Do you think you all in the UK should have to disclose when you receive a sample? I think it's nice in the US that we have to... it just seems a bit more fair that way.
    www.natillie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the in the US we must disclose. There's a gigantic difference between personally purchasing & enjoying a brand & getting sent items & enjoying it. I think it's only fair to know. Happy Friday! :] // itsCarmen.com ☼ ☯

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for writing this, I don't think I'm at the point of needing one yet because everything I do I finance but I will definitely keep this in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very useful tips!
    XO
    Jeanne
    http://fashionmusingsdiary.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo