Monetising Your Blog | Google Adsense


There are many ways to monetise your blog as I mentioned in my monetising your blog post. Today, I'm looking at Google Adsense as a way to make money from your blog. I'm no expert at the ins and outs as I've only just recently installed it. I guess you could call this post a little guide for us beginners.

What is Google Adsense?
In basic terms, Adsense is a free way for content publishers to earn money via text, video and image ads on their website. On blogger, you can set this up via your dashboard (earnings tab). As a publisher, you can decide which ads are best for you (text/image) and where you want the ads located. I currently have one at the end of my sidebar as I prefer to have it where its most unobtrusive. If you're on self hosted wordpress, I believe you can apply via the Google Adsense website.

How Do I Earn Money?
Revenue is created via the number of page views and clicks (users who click on the ad). It's highly unlikely that you're going to get rich from Adsense. You may earn around a few pennies per day. That's very little and you need to earn £60 before you can cash out. However, little amounts add up over time and its a free program. Basically, you're not going to earn much in a short space of time but in the long run, its a bit of money for essentially doing what you already do. You can see all information about your earnings on your adsense dashboard.

Can I Increase My Earnings?
The best way to increase your earnings is to increase your blog traffic - you can find great posts on this subject here and here.

What If I Get Rejected?
There does seem to be quite a few bloggers out there whose application for adsense gets rejected. Adsense do have certain guidelines and terms - you can see some of those here. It may be that your blog doesn't meets those terms, for example if you're a very new blogger. If you're a new blogger, its best to apply after 6 months, make sure you're content is original and post regularly.

What Not To Do
Don't click your own ads or have family/friends clicking your ads - Google will recognise this right away and you'll be penalised. You can find some other advice on what not to do here.

I hope this was helpful. There is so much information out there on Adsense, its impossible to cover it all in one post but hopefully this post may give you a little background if you're thinking of applying.



check out my exclusive advertiser The Runner Beans

14 comments

  1. I've been using Adsense for a while and have mixed feelings about it. It is a nice system to use, on the whole, but the returns are poor. I seem to be carrying a lot of advertisements for little or no remuneration. Google Adsense seems to work for Google, the advertisers too perhaps, but Bloggers are not likely to make a fortune from it.



    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I'm not going to start now, when I'm older and am still continuing my blog I would love to give it a try, but it just all seems very foreign to me! Thanks for these posts though x

    A Little Treat | Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very helpful and another round of great advice! ^_^
    xo,
    Jenny
    www.mishmoshmakeup.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this. I really need to sort out my adsense account. I applied about a year ago and got rejected. I'm not sure if I can apply again though

    Jenn
    Photo-Jenn-ic

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really heplful. Thank you!

    http://whatmaisiedid.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really useful thanks! I'd only heard about it but now I actually know what it is! Abi :)
    MyW0rldMyView

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, thanks for sharing all these helpful tips all the time! I definitely think that new bloggers (like me!) shouldn't focus on advertising, especially as ads can sometimes detract from the reading experience. I'll be looking more closely at adsense in a few months' time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really interesting!! Much love from
    http://devilreturnsprada.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this. My blog is still new so I will just probably wait a couple of months before applying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post is really helpful and informative. Thanks for always breaking things down for the newbies. I'm not looking to make money off my blog, but I think it's good to stay informed about this growing business model!

    --Summer

    summerandatlantic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post.
    www.anaviglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really helpful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this great post:D
    RK

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo