I mentioned in my rediscoveries post that China Glaze is one of my favourite brands. Its a nail polish brand I've been using for a good few years. Until recently, it was quite hard to find in the UK. I used to trawl American eBay sellers to find their polishes but luckily theres now a few UK retailers stocking the brand - good news since its much more difficult to ship nail polishes these days.
Today, I picked up my Love Me Beauty Box from the Post Office, hence why this review is so late in the month. I say it every month but these posts always seem to come around so quickly. This month is also Love Me Beauty's first birthday so lets see whats inside the box.
I love a good sale and at this time of year, there are summer sales a plenty. The ASOS sale started today - they already have a decent clearance section but I always seem to find something I like. Its now free delivery over £15 but still a sweet deal if you can find something that you like. Here's my current ASOS sale wishlist.
In the world of social media, google plus is relatively new. I for one am still trying to work way my around it. Like most things, there are pluses and negatives and everyone will have an opinion but seeing as google are pushing google plus then I think its handy to have, especially if you are a blogger.
When it comes to brows, I've had a roller coaster of a journey. Over plucking them in my teens left them looking sparse. I've always used some kind of product on them to attempt to make them look better but I realised the only way to really raise my brow game was to put down the tweezers for a while.
Its that time of year when images from upcoming a/w collections start to filter through. Once again Primark have upped their game. I would never have guessed these images were Primark if I didnt know beforehand.
A/W 2014 promises Nordic folk patterns and textures, English heritage and boho.
I love the prints and will be hotfooting it to a local store once these arrive!
Matte lips are becoming a huge trend at the moment. As I'm incredibly pale, I find a bright shade tends to suit me better. Right now, red lips are my thing. I've managed to find some good lipstick formulas too, which means worrying about dry lips is a thing of the past.
I'm always on the lookout for new beauty releases. Theres been a slew of new products over the past month or two. I usually pop into boots and superdrug every weekend to see what new products have arrived in store so I've picked up a few things and thought I would give a run down on the good and not so good.
One of my favourite online places to shop is feel unique. I like that you can buy a variety of brands under one roof and its free delivery worldwide over £10.
My current wishlist has a few things I've been after for a while as well as a few new (ish) products I've spotted.
I've been after the YSL Babydoll Kiss & Blush since first spotting them. I've yet to see a bad review on these and I love a multi use product. YSL also has the most beautiful packaging!
Being a lover of hot cloth cleansers, I have the Ren Hot Cloth Cleanser firmly on my wishlist. I've enjoyed using the Ren products I have used so I think this one could be a good 'un.
No doubt if you're a beauty lover, you'll have heard of Tanya Burr, whose now launched her own cosmetics. I love a good lipgloss so I'd love to try a gloss from her range. Theres so many shades and they're reasonable priced too!
Real Techniques need no introduction - one of my favourite RT brushes is the setting brush. I love using it to blend concealer and to contour. I really need to purchase another one of these babies as I get so much use out of it.
One item I've had on my wishlist forever is theBalm Mary Lou Luminizer. I'm not even sure why I haven't got round to purchasing this yet but I've seen so many bloggers rave about it. I love a good highlighter and this one looks so pretty.
Finally, on my list is the Elemis Sensitive Cleansing Wash. I tend to use cleansers aimed towards sensitive skin as I find them to be really light and gentle. Elemis is one of my favourite beauty brands so I think I'd really like this cleanser.
*You can currently get 15% off your first order here or £5 off a £20 spend here. Theres free worldwide delivery too!*
In one of my recent posts - how to promote your blog posts, I talked about how to get your blog out there. One aspect I didn't talk about was seo or search engine optimisation. To put it simply, seo basically relates to where your blog is placed in search engine results. I've read hundreds of articles on seo and I'm still finding my feet so I'm no expert but I've picked up a few tips that may help improve boost your search engine placement and thus improve your stats.
It seems like there has been a whirlwind of new MAC collections recently and now theres news of err.. even more MAC collections. Seriously, though I do look forward to Autumn/Winter collections. First up is the Brooke Shields Beauty Icon Collection, which I did squeal about a bit as I love retro 'icons'.
Here's what to look forward to - images and full color story to come.
Eye Shadow x15 palette
Veluxe Pearlfusion palette x 2 silver/violet/pink with gold pearl beige/grey/charcoal/plum/brown
Veluxe Brow Liner and Clear Brow Set
Cremeblend Blush Duo
coral pink/soft rose
Two Lip Combinations bright orange red lipstick w/ matching gloss burgundy lipstick w/ coral gloss
Two Cream Finish Polishes
Special packaging - light grey, bright orange accents and Brooke's signature.
I'm not really sure whats happened with my recent fashion cravings. Topshop and I have had an up and down relationship over the years. I haven't shopped there for a long time - well, bar a couple of nail polishes and a top my mum treated me to last summer. I find their clothes are pricey for what they are, especially for trends. Personally, I prefer to purchase cheaper items when it comes to fashion trends that wont be around for a while. When it comes to the more basic and everyday items, I've completely fallen back in love with Topshop. I blame fashion blogs and youtubers for my current obsession but my wishlist is growing. I don't own many jackets but I'm desperate for a faux leather one. This biker jacket (1) is gorgeous and the price isn't outrageous either. In one of Anna's latest videos I spied this pretty embroidered blouse (2), which is exactly what I've been looking for. I do think its slightly overpriced for what it is but I need to have a look instore to judge on the quality. I've also been looking for a chambray shirt - I think I saw Jessica Alba wearing one and loved it. This one (3) is perfect, slightly more that what I'd normally pay but its something that will look great paired with jeans and be a wardrobe staple.
When it comes to Topshop makeup, I've only tried their nail polishes, however I've got quite a few makeup items on my wishlist. I love the look of the Glow Stick (4) in play up. I love the look of their blushes too, they're so pretty. Finally, you cant have a Topshop wishlist without a pair of jeans. After wearing jeans non stop in my teens, I've spent the last few years without any in my wardrobe. The best pair of jeans I ever owned were a pair of moto ones - they were so comfy. I've heard so much about the leigh jeans (5) that I'm considering buying a pair. Though, I have no idea which are better - the leigh or the joni? #problems
1. Blogging is more time consuming than it looks - taking photos, editing, writing , admin can easily take up a good few hours!
2. 'Rome wasn't built in a day' - that old chestnut of a saying is so true when it comes to blogging - it takes time to build a readership, find your way and generally figure out what kind of content you want to produce.
3. Negativity exists in every walk of life - sadly, theres always going to be some negative issues when it comes to blogs. Theres been quite a bit over the past few weeks. Personally, I choose to ignore it and focus on the good things.
4. Which brings me nicely to no.4 - that there are some awesome people out there!
5. You want to buy every new release - As a blogger and reader, I have a massive wish list. Thank God I have some self restraint.
6. You purchase unnecessary things for photo props - I didn't need that makeup bag, tray or notebook but they make my photos look prettier!
7. You will compare yourself to other bloggers - its so easy to do but its unnecessary pressure. Being yourself is what sets you apart and makes you stand out.
8. Its ok to take a step back - taking a break can bring new and fresh ideas
9. Stats are not that important - If blogging is your source of income then obviously they do but as a hobby, I don't think they're worth fretting over. Sure, its interesting to see what blog posts are most popular and whereabouts your readers are from but if you're enjoying writing/blogging then thats all that really matters.
10. However, if you do want to get your blog out there then networking is a must - twitter chats, commenting, sharing your blog link etc will help do that.
11. Not everyone is going to like you/your blog - your blog isn't going to be everyones cup of tea and that's perfectly ok. It would be boring if everyone liked the same things.
12. Blogging can really improve your confidence - I wasn't in a great place when I started this blog but finding something I enjoy and actually sticking to it has really helped to improve my self esteem. I'm a naturally shy person but putting myself out there a little has given me a boost!
These are just a few things I've learnt in over two years of blogging. I'm sure every blogger has various things they've learnt about the blogging world and themselves in their blogging journey. If you have any, I'd love to know!
I've recently hit a few blogging milestones and thought it would be nice to run a lil' giveaway!This was going to be a MAC Osbournes giveaway but most things sold out super quick this morning so I didn't have chance to get my hands on anything. I know MAC giveaways are a little predictable but its hard to find something that is going to suit everyone.
Up for grabs is a lippie and blush of your choice from the permanent line.
To enter just pop your details in the rafflecopter form below - this competition is open internationally!