5 Things To Help Improve Your Blog Design


Having a sleek and visually good looking blog design can make you feel more confident about blogging and improve the reader experience. I've recently changed my blog design and I feel so much better about my blog. There are a few ways you can improve your blog design and if you're looking to spruce up your site, here are a few of my suggestions.


1. Use a pattern for a background. I love subtle patterns for sleek and attractive backgrounds. To use any of these, simply download the pattern of your choice, upload it to photobucket and follow my tutorial here.



2. Use a new font. You can use fonts both on your blogger template and on your header. I love google fonts for post headers and sidebar headers. You do need to check they work on all browsers though as some fonts dont. You can view my post here which shows you how to add a google font to your blog.
I also love this post which showcases 14 free pretty fonts you can use on your blog. You can also check out some of my favourite fonts here too. To use fonts from dafont or fontquirrel, simply save the font to your computer, unzip the file and install the font to your computer by opening the font file. You'll then be able to use the font in picmonkey, pixlr or photoshop.



3. Use watercolours for your background, header or other design elements. You'll find 12 free watercolour textures from Persia Lou here.


4. Use clip art for your header. I love Angie Makes for free clip art - they're seriously awesome and free!This wreath set is nice for creating a header.


5. Use free blog graphics for your headings and social media icons. I love this set from Clementine CreativeCarmia's site is so pretty and she has other amazing free resources too.



Twitter | Bloglovin | Google +

18 comments

  1. Seriously, this post was very helpful. I've discovered those sites that you can download watercolours for the background and I love them. Thanks for sharing!!

    xx Cecil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great suggestions, I use a water colour background in my blog header and I love pretty fonts <3 xx

    Ioanna | Hearting.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a useful post, just wish I found this when I was re-doing my blog. I'm way too scared to touch it now!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eee! Thanks for linking. Xoxo.

    - Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely tips! Thanks for sharing!
    XO
    Jeanne
    http://www.fashionmusingsdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! And great resources—I really love the watercolours. I just changed up little bits of my blog design/website and couldn't feel better about it (I know how ya feel haha!) xx

    —Rebecca
    wanderdust.co

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips! I'll definitely check out the sites you've recommended. I've had my blog live for two months and already I'm itching to spruce it up!

    Jess X

    http://chasinglifeandme.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a useful post, your blog design is so sleek.

    Ooh La Luce | Fashion, Beauty, Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this post great tips and very inspirational, thanks for sharing these tips hun!!

    Leslie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Thank you for sharing this links with us I really appreciate it!

    Bisous,Marye
    www.niniiinjune.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the patterns that is really helpful :)

    http://inspiremeland.com

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the post! Free watercolor graphics, would definitely be of some use to me :)

    http://www.thesmellofroses.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, thank you for sharing! I'm always finding amazing free fonts and graphics on Pinterest!

    alice x | beautybyalicee

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is going to be so useful!
    Emma xo | missemmalouise12.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the post! Found it very useful.
    If you are looking for more free clip art check out my website - http://www.thesmellofroses.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never been interested in new fonts but looking at the ones displayed on this post, I can see why people download new ones!

    Amy at Amy & More

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for including my watercolour blog set! What a great roundup overall!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been struggling with design so this post is great! Thanks! x

    www.againstthegrain.london

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo