A Guide To Successfully Blogging On A Budget


As someone who doesnt blog full time (i.e. earn a living from my blog), I have to blog on a budget. Sure, I have spent a small amount on my blog but generally I have to limit my funds. I simply cant afford to buy every new product to review or splash out on a new camera. 

This post is an update to my previous ones on how to blog when you're broke and no money, no problem. I feel I've learnt a lot since writing those posts last year and I wanted to show you how I mange to blog effectively on a budget. 

Make the most of the tools you have 
Whether that's a camera, backgrounds, accessories etc. I use a regular laptop for blogging and work purposes. I would love a Macbook but I simply cant afford to buy one at this point. For blogging, any kind of laptop/desktop will do - you can even use your phone to blog on the go!

When it comes to cameras, you really dont need a DSLR or fancy schmancy camera. I'm not saying that you can compare a very cheap camera with one that costs thousands of pounds and I'm sure some would say that higher quality photos are better. However, you can get decent enough photographs with a cheaper camera that are perfectly usable for blogging. If theres one thing that I've learned about photography over the past 3 years, its to take photos in natural light - it makes such a difference! That's obviously easier said than done in winter but you can brighten photos by using a photo editing site.

For backgrounds, a white sheet of paper does a great job - I've also used chopping boards, my chest of drawers, bedding and cushions to take photos on.

Utilise free resources 
Try and make the most of free resources available. There are tonnes of free resources on the internet.
Whether you need an editorial calendar or blog design resources - its all out there. Not everyone can spend £££'s on a blog design but there are many tutorials that can help you tweak your own layout. I've written some here and I'd also really recommend reading I can build a blog as there's some really helpful tips on there. If you're looking for a free template for your blog then check out my post here.
When it comes to photography, I often use stock photos for posts like this one and then just edit it in Picmonkey (which is free for basic functions) to put text on!

Create a pool of ideas for content
Creating a pool of ideas will help to keep you inspired and help you stick to a budget. For example, I  said at the start of this post that I cant afford to buy every new product. I'm lucky enough to receive a few PR samples here and there but its not enough to fill every blog post. Instead, I try to think outside of the box and write posts like this one or share other bloggers content, such as in my heathy eating lunch ideas post. If you're stuck for inspiration, have a look at my 108 blog post ideas.

Make use of budget buys, freebies
You dont need to purchase high end products in order to blog. Some of my most read posts are on budget products. If you're wanting to spend money then its a good idea to shop around for good offers - I try to wait for 3 for 2 promotions, buy one get one half price and I like to look in shops like B&M, Home Bargains and pound stores too. Make sure you get loyalty cards for shops, such as Boots, Superdrug, Space NK and Debenhams - if I'm buying a higher end product, I usually wait for the 10% beauty promo at Debenhams - its a great way to save money and pick up some extra points too. The Boots Advantage Card is also one of my favourites as you can pick up extra points via the Boots App or from coupons you're sent. Check out my post on how to get free products too!

Be inspired by your own lifestyle 
When it comes to creating content for your blog, why not be inspired by your daily life. For example, if you're on a day trip, take photos and share them on your blog. It makes an interesting post and wont cost you anything extra to create.
If you're going to the gym, you could document your workout routine. You could write a post on your work wardrobe and take photos of your outfits. Don't be afraid to try new things when it comes to content creation. 

Collaborate with others
Collaborating with others is a great way to save money. For a giveaway, you could collaborate with several bloggers and hold a group contest with a big prize, rather than individual small prizes. You could also collaborate with other bloggers by creating a blog interview series, take outfit photo's for each other or plan a meetup. 

Look around
If you're looking for something, ask yourself do you really need it? Can you get it cheaper elsewhere? I shopped around for lighting and found that buying the lights and lightbox separately worked out cheaper than buying them in a set (I saved around £15). If you need a new camera or laptop, have a look around on the web to compare prices. You could also try second hand shops and eBay too. 

Do you have any tips for blogging on a budget?


Twitter | Bloglovin | Google +

24 comments

  1. I became pretty decent with makeup by using what I already have, biggest tip I could give ^_^

    Laila from Townhouse Palette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the ideas in this post, it's so easy to get unmotivated when on a budget, I always want to buy new clothes to post new outfits but it is possible to blog within your means, this shows it!

    CLOTHING CONSCIOUS// FASHION & LIFESTYLE BLOG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is, though it can be hard sometimes :)

      Delete
  3. When it comes to blogging on a budget it's definitely thinking outside of the box that gets you great content. There are so many different things you can do with the makeup you already own, whether it's shopping your stash or just experimenting with things you don't use often.

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great tips! Thank you :) xx

    www.coldsideofthepillow.ca

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone new to blogging, this post was so helpful and reassuring! Thank you!

    http://sassyclassylife.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a good read, very helpful! I have really enjoyed reading your posts like this lately and also stumbled across your other blog Diary of a Freelancer, which I'm loving too :)

    Blushhx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much, you are too kind :)

      Delete
  7. great post!

    www.wonderlandclothing.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very useful tips! I've just added your post to my favourites!;)
    ♥♥♥
    Jeanne
    http://fashionmusingsdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good tips! Just thinking "how can I try to do this for lower cost/on a budget?" can really change your whole mindset. Instead of "what can I buy?", it's "How can I show this piece another way?"

    Meg of An Affair of Character

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I totally agree, people don't need to spend tons to successfully run a blog!
    http://mynameiszoeee1.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips! Thank you for sharing!

    ★ meilijourney.blogspot.com ★

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fab post, great advice!

    www.Chan-Tells.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. This blog post is great - thankyou. Also the link to getting 'freebies' is great. Thanks again!

    bethany-morris.blogspot.co.uk

    X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tips! I was just thinking of ways to blog without spending a ton of money! Will definitely use the tips on taking photos as my camera is definitely not the greatest.

    Cath In The Hat

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! great tips, when you are on a small budget its important to get creative! x Josune, Your Beauty Script

    latest post: http://yourbeautyscript.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved reading this post on how to blog successfully on a budget. I am a new blogger I started my blog about a month ago and as a new blogger I am definitely on a budget so it was nice to read this and get some tips.

    Andrea

    http://beautywithandrea36.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo