The Top Blogging Lessons I've Learnt



As its been almost three years since I started this little online space, I thought it was time for reflection. I've learnt a lot over the past three years from blogging - about blogging in general and about myself. Blogging has evolved so much in recent years, what once was a hobby for many is now something that you can earn a living from, gain career opportunities and learn new skills. I've whittled down the top blogging lessons I've learnt over the last 3 years. If you're a blogger you might be familiar with some of these. 

1. Do what makes you happy
If anyone asked me for advice to give new bloggers it would be this. Even though I've written a few tips and tricks posts in the past, I always say that you need to do what makes you happy first and foremost. I think it really shows if you're not happy with the content you're producing. Go with your gut instinct. Some of my favourite posts to write have gone down like lead balloons but I'm still glad that I wrote them. I've seen a few bloggers say they're not sure whether they should publish a post and essentially you have to remember that your blog is your space - you can create your own rules! 

2. Take blogging tips with a pinch of salt
I'll probably sound like a hypocrite for saying this as I've written a few blogging tips posts but I generally believe that you shouldn't take blogging tips too seriously. Different things work for different people. You could follow all the tips on a 'how to gain more followers' type post but thats not to say its going to work for you. Every blogging journey is different - whats worked for one person wont necessarily work for someone else. Of course, theres lots of great advice out there but I think the key is to balance it with what you want to do and what works for you. 

3. You cant please everyone
As with life, you just cant please everyone. Some people will like your blog and some people wont. It would be pretty boring if we all liked the same thing. Dont beat yourself up trying to win everyone over.

4. Be true to yourself 
Its OK to turn things down, do things a little differently from everyone else and stick to your guns. There's a few things I'd wish I'd done differently but I've learnt and grown from those experiences. 

5. Organisation helps.
There's no need to put pressure on yourself to keep a regular schedule but an editorial calender, notebooks to jot down ideas and generally keeping things organised definitely helps in the long run. I'd be completely lost with keeping notes and a planner. 

6. Its OK to do new things 
I've changed a few things since I started blogging and I'm planning to introduce a few more things on here to keep things fresh. I've had a million blog designs too but I'm finally happy with how my blog looks at the moment. I've even changed my blog name along the way (it was originally called The Beauty Shelf) but I felt it restricted what I posted. Sometimes, its good to try out something new or change the direction that you're going in.

7. Blogging is awesome
I'm so glad that I decided to start blogging. It really has given me more confidence and provided some great opportunities. Getting to interact with amazing bloggers is a massive plus too. There's an incredible blogging community out there and if its something you're considering 100% go for it.

Have you learnt any valuable lessons from you're blogging journey?


Twitter | Bloglovin | Google +

32 comments

  1. love these, esp the last one! so glad i got into blogging!

    Aine Oh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this, especially the bit about how different things work for different people. It's so true! It's so pointless to act the same as everyone else.

    - Manna :D
    MannaFest

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh I love this post, some great lessons! I think I have learnt that it's important to really try and think your photos through where you can. Work with the time of day etc :)

    Great post, thank you!

    http://shebearacharmedlife.blogspot.co.uk/

    Love Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was great to read and made me feel very motivated to carry on!
    Thanks for sharing
    Leanne xx
    nailsandteapots

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all so true! I have learned to be more confident within myself! :) Xx
    OliviaCheryl.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taking tips with a pinch of salt is so important I've found, too easy to get sucked in and believe it all!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for these tips, I especially love number 1
    Hannah | Heyitshannaah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Must add this post to my favourites! ;)
    ♥♥♥
    Jeanne
    http://fashionmusingsdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post! I'm new to the blogging world, but I love it already!

    thegildedlifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great "tips". The blogging for yourself is particularly true as so many people believe they can dictate what you write on your blog and it can make other feel so negative about themselves. Stay true to your is by far the most important. <3


    Angie x | Chocolate & Lipstick || UK Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love blogging! I just started developing my blog!
    if you want to check out my blog:unknownkc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. These tips are something I definitely need to remind myself of! Your blog has grown so much since I started reading, great post!

    Beth x
    www.bethelouise.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tips. I agree with your final point, the blogging community is fantastic!
    Amber
    http://www.sweetwordsprettypictures.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really great tips! Particularly about not pleasing everyone!

    Georgina
    foxonthehunt.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice to hear you're enjoying your blog so much! A nice common sense approach to blogging there :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great read :) I always enjoy these types of posts, I find it really helpful to see what other bloggers have learned along the way x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes to everything! Especially not taking the tips too seriously (no offence, obviously) but just that not all tips will work for everyone, y'know? There are so many great things about blogging, it's just about finding what works for you! Great post!
    Ivory Avenue

    ReplyDelete
  18. My favorite blog tip would be socialize and market! I stink at, but I am trying to get better ^_^

    Laila from Townhouse Palette

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome tips.. Just started up our blog and this was what I needed to hear ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. loved reading your post! I have learnt that you can't please everyone (like you say) and its good that some people like you and some dont, it makes you grow and evolve x

    leannewinters.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't had any regrets since starting my blog, it's so fun and rewarding especially when people comment saying they really liked a post or your blog is your favourite, I don't think many things can beat that feeling :)
    Dalal xo, monochromedaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I need to remember 2, 3 and 7 - great post though; really motivated me to get writing again.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
  23. Enjoyed reading your blog tips. Thank for sharing

    www.unKhanny.m

    ReplyDelete
  24. thanks for sharing your tips <3

    https://aspoonfulofnature.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing these. I took a big break from blogging and when I re-started I decided to just write about what I know and am interested in instead of trying to write about stuff that might interest other people and I feel so much more comfortable with my blog now. I've also been trying to keep better organized as well - it can get quite hard though when my work schedule is constantly changing! :) Wendy xx
    Scottish Wendy | Wendy's World

    ReplyDelete
  26. I started blogging in January, so I love any informative posts about blogging like this :) I think one thing I've learned is to be spontaneous (I post as things happen) x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  27. Blogging IS awesome! Great post ^.^

    Kaitlyn xo

    www.thetrendytea.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Blogging works differently for everyone, that's SO right. Every blog has its own unique spirit which can't be taken down. I loved this post.
    Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
  29. Aww thanks for sharing your experiences! :) I'm a new blogger, but I have been blogging for many years so I understand your viewpoint. I do wish to be more confident with blogging because I used to feel someone out there may judge because one's layout is the first thing one can notice, but I am still putting effort to make blogging as a consistent habit. :)

    Lee
    Last Night with Lee

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think doing what makes you happy is key. We can publish a post based on what we think our readers will like but if it doesn't make us happy, what's the point? Great post.

    Holly | http://abranchofholly.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  31. hiii i just nominated you for the versatile blogger award … go to my blog to see what to do :))
    http://www.needo04.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great post, really enjoyed it:) x

    Brontathena.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo