Why Other Bloggers Are Not The Competition!


Blogging is a funny old thing. On one part, its incredibly fulfilling and enjoyable. On the other hand, there is a wave of negativity that often comes seeping to the surface. I think its completely natural to feel slightly envious of others from time to time, especially if you see someone doing well for themselves and you're going through a rough patch or struggling with a confidence crisis. 

As I wrote in my post 5 ways to avoid the comparison trap, its easy to feel like your content or photography isn't good enough and compare yourself to other bloggers in your genre. However, I genuinely feel there doesn't need to be the need for competitive blogging whether that's related to views, subscribers, general feelings or being supportive of each other.

In order to feel less competitive with each other, lets look at the ways you can feel good about your own blogging adventure.

1. Believe in yourself
That's often a lot easier said than done but having confidence in your content will help you to feel much more positive about your blog and less likely to compare yourself in a negative way. Try and do what you want to do - your blog is your space and you can create whatever you like!

2. There's a person behind the blog
Most bloggers/vloggers only share a small portion on their lives online - nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors. You may feel envious of someones blog/looks/beautiful home but nobody has a perfect life. Sometimes people can come across very differently online and may appear confident but that's not to say they're are. I also think its very easy to come across badly on the likes of twitter and instagram when in reality it may not be the case (obviously, I'm not including those who are arses in real life).

3. Take inspiration
Be inspired by others rather than competitive. If there is a blog you're envious of, what is it that makes you feel that way? Is it the design? content? no of subscribers? How can you use that envy and turn it into something positive? Perhaps you could improve your own design and content - I'm not saying copy ideas as that wouldn't be cool but maybe you could utilise some of the blogging tips around the web and use it to your own advantage. I've been very envious of those with great photography skills but I've tried to improve my own photography so I'm happier with it - its far from perfect but building my own skills has made me more fulfilled.

4. Think about your long term goals
Do you have any long term goals in mind? are there things you can do that will make you happier in the long term with your own blog? Remember its OK to change things around - there are no rules when it comes to blogging!

5. Success means different things to different people
To some success may mean views and followers but to others it might be building content that you're proud of. It might be making friends in the community, reader relationships or gaining a career from your blog. What you deem as successful, may not be the same for everyone but don't be afraid to celebrate your personal goals or milestones. Celebrate other bloggers achievements too - I'm  firm believer that positivity radiates positivity (that may sound like a cliche to some) but its surprising how letting go of negativity can make you feel much happier!


Twitter | Bloglovin | Google +

21 comments

  1. Great post! We should all support each other :) there is room for everyone! xx
    www.ivyrode.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, i was quite suprised when i started blogging how friendly everyone was! x
    Emma | Emmys Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Some really helpful tips in here and although I haven't come across this feeling yet, I'm sure one day it'll creep up and this will be handy to look back at! Thank you. Xx

    http://www.lattesandlondon.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get alot of inspiration for my posts from others! I love to mention the blogger who has given me the inspiration in the post too, just a nice way of being appreciative I guess :) xx

    That Girl Rhianna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree, we are not competitors, but colleagues :)
    xx

    http://lomejordecadatienda.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's more than enough room for everyone <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really awesome, thanks for sharing. I'm new to blogging and it's really easy to get intimidated or even jealous of bloggers who have been doing it for years and are so amazing at it! I try to use that to push myself and create content I'm proud of (which usually works haha).

    Love your blog xx
    bartlett-pair.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you wrote this post, it needed to be said!

    L'oreal Paris Infallible 24H-Matte Review

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agreed! In a society like today we should be supporting one another not fighting for the top. As Ivy said there is room for everyone!
    LeviJade xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is definitely a supportive community so far as I've experienced which is amazing, but I do think we all get those niggling feelings of not being as good as someone else from time to time. x

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a great read. I agree with so many of the things you said.

    Georgina x
    foxonthehunt.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely agree. We're all doing something we love. As someone who's not being blogging for too long I can say it's easy to get caught up in what you don't have but this is a community that I'm privilege to be a part of and there's a place for every single one of us :)

    Alexandra Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post and all so true!x

    Sophie | http://dreamsandcolourschemes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. great post! x

    www.sparklethiscity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this post! My Blog isn't my source of evilness, it comes from my YT channel, I always upload a video to compliment my Blog post and most times I never show my face, only the products, so I've been accused as a hoarder because I don't do makeup tutorials using the products... just can't please everyone!
    http://www.lilyseymour.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your post. As a brand new blogger, I've been lucky enough to connect with so many supportive ladies who I've learned so much from. I agree that we should all support each other! Everyone brings something different to the table.

    www.sassyclassylife.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I completely agree, this was just the reminder I needed!
    Hannah x
    Hanniemc.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like what you said about turning the envy into inspiration. That is a good way to look at it. I started a blog because sometimes I want to say something. There is no reason to be envious of others if that what you're doing. I think you're right that success is different for everyone. I can understand how some bloggers, people in general, can get a little jealous and competitive if they maybe don't feel like they are achieving their own goals but just do what you're doing and do it well and go with the flow. Positivity rules.
    :) Alice
    www.alicemanfrida.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent post, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this post :) I'm not going to lie, I compare myself constantly and even after over a year of blogging I've not made much of an impact or difference. But your part about how it's my space and nobody elses...very true! I guess I shall keep creating and bog for myself, hoping that others may enjoy it too.

    Jo xx
    She Wears Burgundy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo