An Interview with The Bare Faced Chic


As its spring, I've given the blog a little makeover - I think it needed a refresh and I'm pleased with how its turned out. Today, I have an interview with the lovely Michelle from the blog The Bare Faced Chic. Michelle advertised with me last month and I wanted to get to know her a bit better. If you'd like to advertise then check out my page here with all the details. 

Hi Michelle, what made you decide to start a blog?

Being blessed throughout the majority of my life with the ‘Peter Pan’ gene, I've never hesitated to share my age with anyone who showed the slightest bit of interest. My revelation was usually followed by – but you can’t be or, you look much younger! Which, of course, I loved.Then, at the age of 42, I met my other half and we embarked on an amazing, romantic, fun and fizz filled journey from courtship to wedded bliss – also know as eating junk, not exercising, drinking too much and generally riding that heady roller coaster towards ill-health, obesity and all the glorious complications that these two little beauties bestow. Suddenly the compliments dried up. I not only looked my age, but boy did I feel it – and then some! Piling two and a half stone onto my rather small frame not only gave me a chin that Jabba the Hut would have been proud of, but every joint in my body ached, my skin was in a terrible state and my hair was limp and lifeless. 

With my 50th birthday hurtling towards me faster than Usain Bolt I decided to take the bull by the horns, get off my more than generous  backside and try to hit that milestone looking and feeling my best. I wanted to feel good in my own skin again: hence The Barefaced Chic. I also wanted a platform to share my kick-ass attitude to ageing. A lot of women seem to think they will become invisible when they hit 50 and are struggling with the ageing process. If The Barefaced Chic can sweep away a tiny piece of their self-doubt and help them enjoy their lives, no matter how many candles are on their cakes, then I'll be one happy bunny!

What do you love most about the blogging community?

I love the support system that exists within the blogging industry; I felt at home as soon as I'd hit the publish button on my first blog three years ago. There is a definite sense of community - you only have to shout for help via any of the social networks and somebody will come to your rescue. As bloggers, as we learn we tend to pass on our knowledge pretty freely - which is really refreshing in this 'what's in it for me' world we live in.

What are your favourite brands?

I tend to chop and change a lot when it comes to makeup, there's everything in my makeup bag from Chanel to Poundland's Gallery. I do tend to splash out when it comes to foundation, and I mix and match according to my skin condition and the 'look' I'm going for. I am far more choosy when it comes to skincare however. Liz Earle tends to be a staple; you just can't beat their Hot Cloth Cleanser. I'm also working on developing my own products - so watch this space :)

What tips would you give to someone thinking of starting a blog

Hmmmm, I could go on and on here as I have tips coming out of my ears, but I think my top three would be: 
Think really long and hard about why you want to start a blog. Is it purely for personal satisfaction? Are you hoping to make a career out of blogging? Is it simply a tool to aid your existing business? Your answer will determine which blogging platform you use and how much money and time you are willing/able to inject into your blog.
If you're struggling to decide on a genre for your blog, try this exercise - sit down with a pad and pen and write VERY rough, brief outlines for 50 blog posts. Yep, that's not a typo, 50! Sounds a lot? 
Think of it this way; that's less than one blog post a week for a year. Keep the pad open and keep coming back to it through the course of a week. If after this time you're staring at a blank pad, or you can't think of more than 10, maybe it's time to have a rethink.
Try not to get bogged down with all the 'bells and whistles' that come with some blogging platforms. Sure you want your blog to look good and function correctly, but the most important thing is the content. Get your content out there!

Tell us a little more about yourself.

You mean there's more to life than blogging?! I tend to keep myself busy - if variety is the spice of life then mine's a Vindaloo. I love good food and fizz (in moderation, of course), I'm learning to fly and recently flew a Jet Provost, I'm partial to a bit of boating (the motorboat type not the clever stuff with sails), I read a lot, laugh a lot and cram as much life into my days as humanly possible. In my 'real' life I own two companies and am a certified business consultant. Jeez, I'm exhausted just listing what I do. I may now have to go and lie down in a dark room.

Thanks for your answers Michelle - you can find The Bare Faced Chic here.



Twitter | Bloglovin | Google +

Check out my platinum advertiser LAZE SUNDAZE

1 comment

  1. great interview!

    www.wonderlandclothing.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo