Restoring Damaged Nails


If you’re like me then your nails become damaged fairly quickly. When it comes to caring for my nails, I have a few tricks up my sleeve in order to try and restore my nails back to full health.  
I find things like doing the housework, cleaning or just day to day things cause my nails to become weak. A poor diet or overall heath can also cause damaged nails as can wearing artificial nails. A few products I use to help strengthen my nails include;

Applying a nail hardener
As nail plates often become brittle and thin, using a nail hardener will help to strengthen and condition the nails. I like the Sally Hansen ones as they’re relatively affordable and do a good job of helping to restore the nails. Its best to use a nail hardener sparingly as over using can encourage nails to become too hard and split. Once a week is more than enough.

A hand cream
I like to use a hand cream in the evening to soften my hands and promote healthier nails. I try to use one formulated with vitamin E for best results.

A nail oil
Using a nail oil helps to strengthen your nails and cuticles. You can either apply a nail oil to a cotton pad and swipe over the entire nail or apply to the cuticle area and massage in. I normally massage an oil into my cuticles as a treatment. I do this once or twice a month in combination with other products mentioned in this article.

Nail buffer
If you have ridges on your nails then using a nail buffer is the best way to treat them. Gently buffing over the nail will help to smooth any ridges and make nail polish application look flawless. As I suffer from ridges, I apply a nail ridge filler too as a base coat for nail polish.

Wear gloves
I always wear gloves in winter as the cold weather can really affect your hands and nails. It’s also a good idea to use gloves for household chores too. Water can really be damaging so for chores like washing up, it’s best to keep your hands protected.

Daily vitamin
As I’m not the healthiest person in the world in terms of diet (I’m really trying to stop eating junk food!) I take a daily vitamin to get some essential vitamins and minerals. Even if you have a decent diet, you might still need added vitamins or even a calcium tablet to strengthen your nails.

Avoid smoking
As it happens, I don’t smoke but I know how damaging it can be for your health. Smoking actually causes nails to become dry, damaged and yellow, so avoiding it will definitely encourage you nails to be healthier.

A professional treatment
Sometimes, I prefer to go for a professional manicure as a treat. I don’t paint my nails that often but when I do, having a manicure or just getting my nails painted by a technician is a real bonus. If you fancy a professional nail or beauty treatment then check out bookyourlifestyle for the latest deals.

*posted in collaboration with bookyourlifestyle

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading!I read every comment and try to respond.If you have a question you can also email me or tweet me @sweetelectric xoxo